FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Where did I go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t_thall
I'm not sure where I could have a bottleneck. Guys put quite a bit of power through these engines and i have twin turbos that are a bit on the big side i think, 3" mandrel bent dual exhaust, no cats, and my intercooler is supposed to be good for 1000hp.
What's the A/R on the turbo? What size compressor wheel?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compressor side is 46 trim, 60 a/r. Turbines are .48 a/r with "P" trim wheels
Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Without FI I don't see how #7 from its own vaccum could draw more air than the rest of the cylinders. Since #7,8 are furthest away from TB they should both see less air equally. I understand how a poor design can restrict flow but not how it can enhance VE more so than the rest of the cylinders. #7 would have to have lower restriction on air flow than all the rest. Being at the back of manifold this would seem unlikely. It's hard to believe that flow balance testing on this manifold was not done prior to reaching production. Could additional heat soak be a factor at back of manifold? I have not seen the stock manifold cut/taken apart sooo just trying to understand.
Are turbo guys with the vic jr. manifold seeing these problems?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on ls1tech they talk about bad coolant flow on #7 all the time.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by Doobie
Without FI I don't see how #7 from its own vaccum could draw more air than the rest of the cylinders. Since #7,8 are furthest away from TB they should both see less air equally. I understand how a poor design can restrict flow but not how it can enhance VE more so than the rest of the cylinders. #7 would have to have lower restriction on air flow than all the rest. Being at the back of manifold this would seem unlikely. It's hard to believe that flow balance testing on this manifold was not done prior to reaching production. Could additional heat soak be a factor at back of manifold? I have not seen the stock manifold cut/taken apart sooo just trying to understand.
Are turbo guys with the vic jr. manifold seeing these problems?
From what I understand, the air flows to the rear of the manifold prior to being distributed (there is an internal "air tube" at the center of the manifold).

NA this isn't an issue from what I've read, it is an issue with FI.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by t_thall
i was commanding 23-25. The afr was at 11.5 all the way through the boost but it was falling on its face at 4400rpms. I tried a few things and couldn't make it pull, my timing tables dropped off at that rpm so i bumped it up. It pulled better but my afr dropped to 10.5 for some reason, thats when i stopped and noticed the knock.
Detonation would account for the power loss and rich condition. Great price on the replacement 5.3. If you could find a 6.0 it would be even better. Keep the truck intake for now with all the expenses you now have with the motor and upgrade it later with maybe a heads and cam at the same time. I dont really see a need to upgrade the intake right now but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

i asked about a 6L eng and 4l80e, they didn't have many and wanted $4000 for the pair, so i thought i'd stick with the 5.3 for $1200. What do you think about the turbo sizes TurboBerserker? Am I close?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4.8T
on ls1tech they talk about bad coolant flow on #7 all the time.
Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
From what I understand, the air flows to the rear of the manifold prior to being distributed (there is an internal "air tube" at the center of the manifold).

NA this isn't an issue from what I've read, it is an issue with FI.
So, what is the solution? Is there any good remedy on improving coolant flow around #7? Anyone can answer this, so maybe it will help t thall, but others on their FI builds too.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Ditch the Iridium plugs and go with something like a NGK TR6, Iridiums hold too much heat in the electrode and are prone to causing detonation. Also as mentioned previously your timing is way too high. Some times depending on KR settings you will get KR then when the Knock actually occurs it wont show up on your scanner. I have no idea why but I have seen it with the stock KR settings.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are getting good advice in this thread.

Timing to high.
Possibly the plugs.
Intake prone to pop #7. I also have heard all the possible causes for #7 going. More airflow to 7, coolant flow in the area (Evans coolant systems to help) and #7 prone to carbon build up due to the PCV system dumping oil nearest to it.

Build forged for some safety net. There are better intakes for safety net with FI. If you are like most you will kick yourself for not going at least 6.0L. It sounds like you have the potential for much more power than a stocker engine likes long term. Build it now or wish you had later IMO.

Quick Reply: Where did I go wrong?