FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

whipple 2.3l or procharger p1

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are AT LEAST 3 more trucks with Whipple Superchargers in Dubai that are faster than my truck as well. Last night in AbuDhabi at Yas Marina race track, 1 Whipple truck running 11.2, and 2 more running 11.4 at the heads up truck race. And they are all full weight 4WD RCSB's on 20 inch wheels with street tires in 95 degree weather...

Yes Link2603, I was talking about superchargers for reference in topic to this thread.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

So if you had to say what would you say the week point and strong points are on a Whipple vs a procharger
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys that didnt have good top end.. How was the tune? Timing and AFR make all the difference..
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

There might be some other things to. My Whipple was an old side mount not near as good as there top mount today. Also I did go from that to turbos so might be misjudging the whipples top end power. My Afr was a little rich 11.6 but the truck had no knock so no timing was pulled. I ll have to look when I get home to see the exact numbers
Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Banned

I really want to try to be biased because everyone has an opinion on what they like or what they are looking for, and Prochargers and Whipples are both great power adders capable of huge power increases and I like them both. My experience leads me to liking the Whipple better, which is why I used it on my truck.

I just completely disagree on the mentioned posts that the Whipple Superchargers aren't good on the top end and I feel this is misleading based on my experience, maybe the older versions may not have been so great, but the latest designs are amazing.

Weak and strong points on a Whipple Supercharger verses a Procharger;

I believe a Procharger D1SC and Whipple 2.3 (The 2.9 is capable of more)are both capable of about the same amount of peak power while staying in their efficiency zones, which I guess you could say this makes them somewhat equal here.

If you compare a Procharger D1SC vs. Whipple 2.3 on the same engine both peaking at 9 psi boost, the Whipple will have a more linear (slightly broader) torque curve than the Procharger D1SC will. Both will have a steady increase in top end horsepower and both will have boost increasing as rpm increases.

Intake air temperature after the supercharger. From what I have seen in my experience based on everything I have tuned, Whipple is the best as far as air temperature control compared to anything, especially when comparing 9 psi on both mentioned systems, in fact, the IAT on the Whipple will generally go down once you go WOT, and continue to go down starting from 0 mph and accelerating to 80mph+, where as Procharger will be on a steady increase in IAT the entire time at WOT. The more boost you run (faster blower speed), the more IAT will start to go up in each system, but Whipple tends to be the most efficient from what I have seen.

Another benefit from Whipple, no worries of having a silicone coupler popping loose, or splitting causing a boost leak of some sort.

Whipple can use the stock air filter location, which is nice because it is a great area to pull air from, and is an easy area to work with to make your own higher flowing CAI.

Whipple is really easy for pulley changes, takes just a few minutes.

There are many other things that are benefits to both, that I didn't mention. I just figured I would mention a few of the obvious things that stand out to me between the 2 of them. I have nothing at all against Procharger by any means, I love anything that will make a lot of power and Procharger simply does that as well. So please don't take what I mentioned as me down talking Procharger at all, I am simply mentioning factors based on my experience and that's it.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

while I'm not a fan of the procharger kits mainly the belt routing requiring a bunch of tools to change a belt (ever been stuck on the side of the highway with a blown belt?) and the fact of where it pulls the fresh air, but the paxton I had on my suburban and sold, would be a terror on a 5.3 pulls the air from the factory location, IAT's weren't an issue, less likely to toss belts with a lower step up ratio of a paxton head unit vs a procharger. Unfortunately guy I sold it to decided a fast truck isn't in his master plan and its sitting in the classifieds now, for a steal of a price.

That being said, are you using this truck for heavy towing (that 2-3k atv or jetski trailer doesn't count) where you need the low end grunt of a twin screw, or stop light monster with a nice looser convertor that lets it stay in the power band. By their nature, with the shorter stroke 5.3's love to rev. For me with a 6.0 and regularly pulling 5-10k trailers I'd be looking more for low end (well ideally a friggin diesel, second a big block, but roots/twinscrew out of a smallblock gasser)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Banned

Not sure if maybe you typo'd this or not, but the 4.8 is the engine with the shorter stroke, 5.3 and 6.0 are both the same stroke, just different bore size.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am trying to make same decision magna charger2.3 (cable driven) or d1 pro charger .have 4l80e ,pt3200 converter truck 4460lbs with me .also have caltrack comp cam 228/232 on 114 x-ergring .588/595 373 rear 6.o liter
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Banned

The Magnacharger (roots blower) is slightly different than the Whipple (twin screw). The Magnacharger will make more low end power, and slightly less top end power than the Whipple if both are producing roughly 7-10 psi. If you get up to about 13+ lbs of boost, the Whipple and Magnuson will be the same low end power, and the Whipple will still be better for high rpm power/top end.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heat

Originally Posted by Mike @ New Era
The Magnacharger (roots blower) is slightly different than the Whipple (twin screw). The Magnacharger will make more low end power, and slightly less top end power than the Whipple if both are producing roughly 7-10 psi. If you get up to about 13+ lbs of boost, the Whipple and Magnuson will be the same low end power, and the Whipple will still be better for high rpm power/top end.
what is intake air temp BETWEEN THE 2

Last edited by tim wellington; 04-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: whipple 2.3l or procharger p1