FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple 2.9 on 07 up escalade 6.2??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03SuperSLADE
I will try to give a cliff notes version. Whipple recomended the 2.9 for my 408 build as opposed to the 2.3 based on what i was doing. It started off a little rocky when i realized i was putting a square peg in a round hole but they were there to answer any question(s) i had as i uncovered new challenges. Unfortunately they don't make a kit for it so i had to do all the designing myself. Many hours of staring and thinking. I have a new found understanding why already made kits cost so much...R&D!

I don't know if the newer 6.2 Escalades come with the L92 heads, rectangle ports but in 2003 they came with Cathedral ports head and to my knowleage the 2.9 Whipple can only be used with L92 style heads.

The first challange i saw since i decided to go with the Camaro 90mm throttlebody was needing to move the alternator, plus to upgrade the TB on a truck you need a special adaptor to allow it to open past 80%, tripped over that one before i installed otherwise i would have never known. I could not find anyone that make a relocation bracket for trucks so I wound up designing my own alternator/power steering pump bracket to move the alt to the side to clear the throttle body accuator. I wound up taking a few parts from the new Camaro to make it work easier, plus having the Whipple Camaro installation manual in hand kinda leaned me that way.

I wound up using a Camaro water pump due to the postioning of the truck pump neck, only draw back i have to remove the radiator hose to change the serpentine belt, hopefully wont have to do that too often. I went with the Camaro EVAP purge solenoid and lines. Since the trucks fuel regulator was basically built into the intake plenum i went with a Aeromotive bypass regulator. Initially tried factory lines with a boost a pump and ran out of fuel pressure so i dropped the tank installed a sump to feed an A1000 pump feeding the rails with -8 an lines, plenty of fuel now when hitting 18lbs of boost.

I know there were a few more things but i just cant think of the right now, possibly blocking them out, this thing was like peeling an onion.

Once i finally got it running i had a hard time finding someone to try and tune it. No one around here has a AWD Dyno that can fit the ESV with a 120 inch wheelbase. Blew a full race built 4l60e in 4K miles and installed a 4L80e and tried 2wd, finally got it on a dyno 840 ftlbs of torque. No traction so i am in the process of converting it back to AWD.

Heres a couple of pics.

so you know i sell m@H tires guy did a 14 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears i set him up with my rear suspension package and also set him up wtih the 325 45 17 mh drag radials on 17x11 custom true forged wheels and he has a 416 with a 88mm turbo (maybe bigger its been a while) and thing made over 950 rwtq. on the 325 45 17 mh drag radials and my rear suspension set up it hooks pretty dam good on the street.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 03SuperSLADE
I will try to give a cliff notes version. Whipple recomended the 2.9 for my 408 build as opposed to the 2.3 based on what i was doing. It started off a little rocky when i realized i was putting a square peg in a round hole but they were there to answer any question(s) i had as i uncovered new challenges. Unfortunately they don't make a kit for it so i had to do all the designing myself. Many hours of staring and thinking. I have a new found understanding why already made kits cost so much...R&D!

I don't know if the newer 6.2 Escalades come with the L92 heads, rectangle ports but in 2003 they came with Cathedral ports head and to my knowleage the 2.9 Whipple can only be used with L92 style heads.

The first challange i saw since i decided to go with the Camaro 90mm throttlebody was needing to move the alternator, plus to upgrade the TB on a truck you need a special adaptor to allow it to open past 80%, tripped over that one before i installed otherwise i would have never known. I could not find anyone that make a relocation bracket for trucks so I wound up designing my own alternator/power steering pump bracket to move the alt to the side to clear the throttle body accuator. I wound up taking a few parts from the new Camaro to make it work easier, plus having the Whipple Camaro installation manual in hand kinda leaned me that way.

I wound up using a Camaro water pump due to the postioning of the truck pump neck, only draw back i have to remove the radiator hose to change the serpentine belt, hopefully wont have to do that too often. I went with the Camaro EVAP purge solenoid and lines. Since the trucks fuel regulator was basically built into the intake plenum i went with a Aeromotive bypass regulator. Initially tried factory lines with a boost a pump and ran out of fuel pressure so i dropped the tank installed a sump to feed an A1000 pump feeding the rails with -8 an lines, plenty of fuel now when hitting 18lbs of boost.

I know there were a few more things but i just cant think of the right now, possibly blocking them out, this thing was like peeling an onion.

Once i finally got it running i had a hard time finding someone to try and tune it. No one around here has a AWD Dyno that can fit the ESV with a 120 inch wheelbase. Blew a full race built 4l60e in 4K miles and installed a 4L80e and tried 2wd, finally got it on a dyno 840 ftlbs of torque. No traction so i am in the process of converting it back to AWD.

Heres a couple of pics.
absolutely love that! Awesome job brother, thanks for sharing. If you think of the other details please post them up.....that's the kind of info that makes this place so freakin sweet!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really clean install 03superSLADE, that looks incredible.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you move the altenator because the tbody or the blower?
Very nice install. We did a 3.4 hope to have it running soon.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if your install was on an 03, that was an LQ9 and you swapped to L92 heads before the build?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Did you move the altenator because the tbody or the blower?
Very nice install. We did a 3.4 hope to have it running soon.
Both, the alt/PS bracket interferred with the bypass valve on the blower manifold and due to the position of the pulley on the jack shaft the TB has to be reversed so the alternator had to be moved about 3 inches to the right and raised and inch or so that it would clear the valve cover.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
So if your install was on an 03, that was an LQ9 and you swapped to L92 heads before the build?
Yes, i started from scratch with a new block and heads from Texas Speed. TS actually recommended their cathedral ports heads because they have more meat than the L92 for running higher boost but the 2.9 manifold was designed for the L92 heads.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moregrip
absolutely love that! Awesome job brother, thanks for sharing. If you think of the other details please post them up.....that's the kind of info that makes this place so freakin sweet!
I did get a Dyno sheet but it was not very impressive due to some issues with the 4L80e tranny and my IAT's getting too high. I was lucky enough to get a bum build, as soon as i got the tranny in a noticed it was running way to hot crusing on the highway, 230 degrees and it felt mushy in 4th. I took it to the tuner to make sure it wasnt something with the tune since i just did the tranny swap.

The dyno guys say they didnt notice anything odd with the tranny but i think the sheet speaks for itself, no HP. When i picked it up i sampled the tranny fluid and it looked like a glass of merlot and smelled like a BBQ.

Since i am going back to AWD it looks like this will be the only Dyno sheet i will have. I had the motor dyno'd without the blower at Texas Speed when they built it and it was 550HP
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TORQ.pdf (48.2 KB, 194 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a used 1900 that will work great on that truck, 4500 bucks.