FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple 8.1L air to water Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple 8.1L air to water Intercooler

Question for you guys. I have been tossing around the idea of getting an I/C for the truck. Looked into various avenues (air/air, Dmax, few others) and it seems like if i can get a air to water, "ready to bolt in" setup from whipple for less than $800, it may be my best option. My questions are:

1. what are the benifits of the air to water over the air/air if there are any?
2. what kind of hp/tq increases might i see? Mainly summertime gains i would guess, probably none in the winter right?
3. If im not using any Whipple electronics, how would i control the pump? Would it run all the time? Or would it run only under boost with a boost switch?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

You should notice a nice gain year around, as far as the pump goes I am not 100% sure but my thoughts are that it would be hooked up to a key hot source so that it would run all the time. You want it running when the truck is running, so my guess is key hot.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could wire the pump like the radix guys do and it will run for a set time @shut down to cool all the stuff down.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

As far as advantages between air-to-air and air-to-water it really depends. For most driving air-to-air is more efficient and must less complicated with no moving parts or pumps to worry about. Thing is you can only rely on ambient temperature differential to extract heat from the air charge unless you get a spray bar. With air-to-water you can get a reservoir that'll allow you to add ice to really chill the air charge at the track. They suffer a little more from heat soak because the heat exchanger can't reject heat as quickly as a large air-to-air IC can. I'd wire it up to run full time while the vechicle is running with a bypass switch so you can turn it on while the engine is off for track duty. You can buy the same Bosch pumps that the Lightnings use and probably should look to their aftermarket for reservoir kits and heat exchangers like AFCO's got.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Radix uses the fuel pump trigger wire and a relay. Runs as long as the fuel pump is running. I used a toggle switch as well and a cooling fan on the Hx for the track. It actually cooled the IAT's faster with the truck idling due to the cool intake charge being pulled in across the intercooler and the fan out front. Knowing that now I would probably not do the switch. Just let it idle in staging lanes for 5 mins or so and you are back to normal air temps. The air-water is easier to plumb and istall, especially since you can buy the kit. You could do an air to air youself for half the money but 3x the trouble. I'm going to air-air with mine for cost savings and the improved efficiency since I would keep my intercooler sealed and never put ice in it.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor

The Air to Water might be more pratical in your set up. 2 things, get the largest water core you can, The blower radiator up front that helps extrack the heat from the water, and install the largest water tank you can fit. The larger the water reserve the better off you will be. Also for racing you can do some things to fill up the water tank with ICE but not send it throu the front water raditor for the blower. This keeps all that cold water running to the blower I.C.
Ricky
Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry, nice truck.....but I can't stand it any longer
what's up with the Linda handle
Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
I'm sorry, nice truck.....but I can't stand it any longer
what's up with the Linda handle
I think this might help:

Originally Posted by Linda
L=lazy
I=inconsiderate
N=nieve
D=degenerate
A=*******

Its just someone i used to know a while back, the screen name just kinda stuck since then. I will spare you the entire story. Unfortunately it implies im a chick, but im not. Not that theres anything wrong with that...LOL
Old 03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I guess that explains that.. cool