FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

whipple guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whipple guys!!!

i have a 2000 lq4 with a whipple supercharger... and lookin for a cam for more top end power? will it help if so wut size cam you guys running? how about intake? stock?

my engine..
stock 2000 lq4
whipple supercharger no electronics jst 42 injectors( might get 60)

plans...
cam to improve top end dramatically lol
intake (new or port?) throttle body

on a s10 with built 4l60e and in need of advice on stall!

any help thanks guys
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Are you sure you're not running out of fuel? When my engine was stock, it seemed like the power curve never dropped off. How much boost do you have?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

And why would you want a higher stall converter? A blown 6.0 in a S10 should already be smoking the tires at 2000 rpm.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

i have an upgraded fuel pump ,,,stock regulator? think that might be a problem.??? i have a stock converter on it right now. i have way too much torque and my top end is good but i got beat by a ls1 on top end... that made me want to improve my top end power. thought a cam might help me out...
Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

You need to be able to log your fuel pressure, or at least have a gauge to see if the pressure drops at higher rpm. You are also going to want to know how much boost you are running, even if only to help us know if you should be running out of fuel yet or not. Whoever tuned it for the Whipple should be able to answer these two questions. You still should monitor fuel pressure, though. I suggest that you get HP Tuners or EFI Live, unless your tuner is very close.
And a high stall converter won't increase your power up high, if that's what you are thinking.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

i want to retune do to not good tuning and upgrades done to my truck. i will most likely go with efi live. i want a higher stall converter due to i feel a bog after launch not sure wut rpm ... (not sure if im explainin my self) but i might hold off on the cam and do a good fuel system
Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
You need to be able to log your fuel pressure, or at least have a gauge to see if the pressure drops at higher rpm. You are also going to want to know how much boost you are running, even if only to help us know if you should be running out of fuel yet or not. Whoever tuned it for the Whipple should be able to answer these two questions. You still should monitor fuel pressure, though. I suggest that you get HP Tuners or EFI Live, unless your tuner is very close.
And a high stall converter won't increase your power up high, if that's what you are thinking.
What PSI are people in need of adding a walbro fuel pump? I have a 6.0 in my denali and I am running 12psi with my whipple and 42lbs injectors. My truck sometime retards the timing up high near the shift and I have wondered if thats because I was running out of fuel or it was just the whipple not being intercooled but this has happened in winter as well as in the summer when I first noticed it. I had justin from blackbear tune it but I think I may contact Mallett to see if they will tune my truck since they are pretty close to me and I can bring it to them to do in person.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

12 psi, no intercooler, no alcohol injection. Wow. I'd like to see your tune.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
12 psi, no intercooler, no alcohol injection. Wow. I'd like to see your tune.
Lol. Thats what I was have been thinking as well.

I don't want to go with alcohol injection because I don't want to have to fill it all the time.

I am thinking an intercooler would help a lot, but I don't know anyone who can make the changes that would be needed for the intake inlet. The plumbing for the intercooler shouldn't be a problem to have done. I think this spring/summer I am going to have to figure out how to get the intercooler done. Unless I can find someone on here who has done it and would make and sell another kit for me. I don't want my engine to blow up and I do get pretty heat soaked at times.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't mean to say that I think that your tune can be improved, I'm saying that you are probably running a few degrees of timing, and most likely running out of fuel on top. You would probably have more performance with more timing and much less boost.