Whipple or Magnuson?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:57 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor
Do you have a build thread anywhere?

Interested in the results!
I took a whole bunch of pictures, just haven't posted them. I plan to make a thread when its all done.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:13 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was torn between the 2300 and a Whipple 2.9. I had a Maggie 112 for years and made 550rwhp on 7 pounds with E85. It was really reliable and ran consistent 11.7-11.8's at 5200 pounds.

When I started looking at what takes to get a Maggie into the 700rwhp range and the intercooler core, I decided against it. You have to spin the crap out of the 2300 and buy overdrive rear cogs and an 8 rib set up to make the power. And then you have to look into meth and a phenolic spacer to keep intake temps in check. So while the Maggie did have a lower up front cost, I thought it would be more expensive in the long run.

The Whipple has a large intercooler core, no pulleys on the back of the blower to mess with, and no spacer is required. From what I read on the Camaro 5 forum, I should be able to go a bit farther on the 6 rib as well. The fuel system and relocation of the alternator bracket kind of sucked. I also dont like that the radiator hose is inside the belt which means you have to pull the hose to change a belt. I also had to make my own intake which is not a big deal, but an addition cost and some work.

Mine is on a 99-02 truck, so I had to modify my fuel system. The Maggie was basically plug and play with the fuel system. I had to buy a regulator and fuel line to plumb it all in with quite a bit of fittings. The Whipple is more of a custom install, and I am hoping it is well worth it. I plan to spend a lot of time on the dyno experimenting with it.

For what it is worth, Mike at Whipple was really good to work with and provided various options to get me going in the right direction.

Once I am closer to being done, I am going to make a thread and will post pictures and dyno numbers with track times.

I dont think you can go wrong with either, it comes down to your power goals and if you're willing to make the Whipple fit.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

You have to pull the radiator hose to change a belt? That is retarded...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
You have to pull the radiator hose to change a belt? That is retarded...
Name:  FFE252B5-3251-4827-ACF0-297919D45F23-6321-000003FB52FF5AE4_zps2c3a071d.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  116.9 KB
No need to remove hose for that.

But what is pretty retarded is having to buy a snout in order to run a 102 TB. Something that's possible stock with whipple. Or having to buy a spacer due to heat. Some thing whipple has a bigger intercooler and fixes that heat issue. Or having to buy cogs to spin up high enough to generate enough boost to keep up with the boost of a whipple. Got anymore retarded ideas? Ooh yea customer service is horrible from whipple. Yea so you say but why do I need customer service when the product is great from the start.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Admin

Can anyone with a whipple tell me what their IAT's are at the end of a 1/4 m?

I agree, I wish the Maggie came ready for a 102mm and had a bigger intercooler. As for customer service, after helping a friend try to source a part for his whipple and having a less then desirable expirience dealing with them. ( that's put nicely, and granted it's been awhile) however I take my business elsewhere when treated that way. I hear ya on the cog, however if you want to push a 2.3 to keep up with a 2.9 I suppose that's the end result. I think the whipple is a decent kit, however if you wanna split hairs then compare the TVS 2300 to a Whipple 2.3 ( both truck kits ) after all do so would eliminate the negative mark of the alternator bracket and the ascessory drive changes people don't like. It's all in how you spin it....

At the end of the day both kits will do work.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Admin

Does Whipple do a 2.9 for cathedral port heads?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Last Call
I was torn between the 2300 and a Whipple 2.9. I had a Maggie 112 for years and made 550rwhp on 7 pounds with E85. It was really reliable and ran consistent 11.7-11.8's at 5200 pounds.

When I started looking at what takes to get a Maggie into the 700rwhp range and the intercooler core, I decided against it. You have to spin the crap out of the 2300 and buy overdrive rear cogs and an 8 rib set up to make the power. And then you have to look into meth and a phenolic spacer to keep intake temps in check. So while the Maggie did have a lower up front cost, I thought it would be more expensive in the long run.

The Whipple has a large intercooler core, no pulleys on the back of the blower to mess with, and no spacer is required. From what I read on the Camaro 5 forum, I should be able to go a bit farther on the 6 rib as well. The fuel system and relocation of the alternator bracket kind of sucked. I also dont like that the radiator hose is inside the belt which means you have to pull the hose to change a belt. I also had to make my own intake which is not a big deal, but an addition cost and some work.

Mine is on a 99-02 truck, so I had to modify my fuel system. The Maggie was basically plug and play with the fuel system. I had to buy a regulator and fuel line to plumb it all in with quite a bit of fittings. The Whipple is more of a custom install, and I am hoping it is well worth it. I plan to spend a lot of time on the dyno experimenting with it.

For what it is worth, Mike at Whipple was really good to work with and provided various options to get me going in the right direction.

Once I am closer to being done, I am going to make a thread and will post pictures and dyno numbers with track times.

I dont think you can go wrong with either, it comes down to your power goals and if you're willing to make the Whipple fit.
Thanks for that, that was exactly what I was wondering. I had suspected most of the things you mention, but now that you've confirmed my suspicions, I need to decide what's best for me.

Both kits have their advantages and at the end of the day both I'm finding out are great blowers. The whole reason I started this thread was because I found out that a guy who's running the 2300 overspun his while trying to get an SSS just like mine into the 10's and destroyed it. This is what made me start to look at the Whipple.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by L8ERBRO

Just generating active discussion instead of I like this. End of story. Do you know how many threads like this I have seen over the years that establish nothing. We are getting more info here.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Just generating active discussion instead of I like this. End of story. Do you know how many threads like this I have seen over the years that establish nothing. We are getting more info here.
Absolutely! Now some really great info is coming out and turning into a really great thread - thanks everyone!!

Quick Reply: Whipple or Magnuson?