FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple or Magnuson?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:32 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
You have to pull the radiator hose to change a belt? That is retarded...
There are different ways to run the Whipple. The picture below looks like the 5th gen camaro power steering and water pump, so pulling the radiator hose is not necessary. However I am using the truck set up, I am going to be running hydroboost and wanted to keep the factory lines. Here is a pic with the truck accessories and modified bracket. This is not mine, but exactly how I did mine.

Name:  scrunning_zpsccafbc9e.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  79.5 KB
Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=03sierraslt;5199295]Can anyone with a whipple tell me what their IAT's are at the end of a 1/4 m?
/QUOTE]
I'll post an EFI Log once I am set up and hit the track. It would be interesting to compare to yours, I think you have EFI Live as well.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Does Whipple do a 2.9 for cathedral port heads?
They do, it is an option.

Originally Posted by L8ERBRO
Thanks for that, that was exactly what I was wondering. I had suspected most of the things you mention, but now that you've confirmed my suspicions, I need to decide what's best for me.

Both kits have their advantages and at the end of the day both I'm finding out are great blowers. The whole reason I started this thread was because I found out that a guy who's running the 2300 overspun his while trying to get an SSS just like mine into the 10's and destroyed it. This is what made me start to look at the Whipple.
You're welcome. You will find advantages and disadvantages to every FI option out there.

Over-spinning a blower will not kill an engine, a bad tune or putting it on the ragged edge usually causes it. I doubt there would be any difference between whipple and maggie unless the motor popped because of high IATs.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I will say this... I wish Maggie made a larger unit.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
I will say this... I wish Maggie made a larger unit.
x2! and the gear driven shaft and the better intercooler!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Doesn't look like either one is plug and play on an LQ4. The 1900 or the Whip 2.3 is I think, just not optimal for future upgrades right? And is there a bigger intercooler available as an option for the TVS 2300? Seems like a more friendly install.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

from the conversation i was in with a couple guys and mike@newera seems like he prefers whipples. im sure if you send him a message to chime in here he would be more than glad to put in his experiences.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I've heard, the 2300 Maggie is a much easier install and comes as a complete kit except for the charge tube, but they don't make a larger intercooler as far as I know. There is a guy who makes a spacer for that blower that is supposed to keep the IAT's down and add a little more hp.

I really do like the Whipple, but it looks like it could be a pretty tough install for a newb like me.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fortplainman
from the conversation i was in with a couple guys and mike@newera seems like he prefers whipples. im sure if you send him a message to chime in here he would be more than glad to put in his experiences.
Yes, I'd be very interested to see what he has to say about the Whipple. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've heard, the 2300 Maggie is a much easier install and comes as a complete kit except for the charge tube, but they don't make a larger intercooler as far as I know. There is a guy who makes a spacer for that blower that is supposed to keep the IAT's down and add a little more hp.

I really do like the Whipple, but it looks like it could be a pretty tough install for a newb like me.
Yes, I'd be very interested to see what he has to say about the Whipple. Thanks!
Honestly just get either one. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. People have preferences. Some people like fords some people like Chevys. They all have pros and cons and it sounds like they've been stated.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by supermaro
honestly just get either one. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. People have preferences. Some people like fords some people like chevys. They all have pros and cons and it sounds like they've been stated.
Originally Posted by l8erbro
thanks for that, that was exactly what i was wondering. I had suspected most of the things you mention, but now that you've confirmed my suspicions, i need to decide what's best for me.

Both kits have their advantages and at the end of the day both i'm finding out are great blowers. The whole reason i started this thread was because i found out that a guy who's running the 2300 overspun his while trying to get an sss just like mine into the 10's and destroyed it. This is what made me start to look at the whipple.

Quick Reply: Whipple or Magnuson?