FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whippled 408 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ahh, lots of questions & input.

Originally Posted by 6789olds
your stall is worth 3-4 tenths on him and he definitly needs long tube headers 1 7/8 .
I agree with this.

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
where do these set-ups read iat's and what are it's temps?

would meth help being it has no intercooler with the iat's?
We've relocated the IAT sensor to the elbow between the blower and the intake. I datalogged a couple of his runs and don't remember the IAT's getting out of control. Also don't remember IAT pulling timing.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
He is also a decent amount heavier then you also. Headers, Stall and Meth. Forget the intercooler on the side mount.
The D60 rear with the quadrasteer is the biggest weight difference that I know of. But his truck is probably a few hundred pounds heavier. We're also comparing 325 cubes to 408 cubes, both at around 8-9 psi.

Originally Posted by Atomic
What is he trapping at?
His best runs are 13.3's at 100 mph.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
A bigger throttle body would probably help a bunch.
I agree the stock 76mm TB is likely holding him back. I'm still running my 76mm and in the low 12's, but only feeding 325 cubes. Not sure what would have to be done to get a larger TB on the Whipple.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Not without basically making a new blower inlet. Stock whipple inlets do not leave much room to hog them out.
If anyone knows more about this, post up! Thanks.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Yep...should have kept my trap shut. Does it blow or suck through the t'body? Don't even know enough about that setup to be semi dangerous
Any & all input is appreciated. It gets the thinking process started, helps me keep alll aspects of improvement in mind, instead of staying "tunnel visioned." It's why I started this thread.

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
If your buddy decides to intercooler which btw. I would recommend going A2W.Not too sure why Pat says intercooling is a bad idea.Unless its because,of the tunning difficulties he ran into using a A2A.Which can be a hassle but,I know is possible.So like I was sayin if hes interested in intercooling I have a lower Whipple blower manifold already setup with a 3" outlet welded on.I also have a fabricated T.B. inlet setup for a Whipple blower.The opening for the T.B. is 96mm so plenty big for a 2.3l twinscrew.
Opening up the exhaust, without opening up the intake, may not be good enough. Any information (including pics) that you could give would be appreciated. Thanks alot!

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
A boosted 408 has to be pushing some serious air, so wouldn't stock manifolds be choking the crap out of it?

What does his truck 60'?
I agree that this thing needs headers. Just ditching the cats made a huge difference. I don't have a timeslip to check for the 60', but I think it was in the 1.8's? I'll send him a text and then post up again. EDIT: 60's averaged 1.96

Thanks everybody, keep it coming!!

Last edited by AKlowriderZ71; 07-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure I get what your sayin but,I think you may have have wrote it backwards.With that being said no matter what lowering your iat's will net some power.Which is what the mods I mentioned will do.When my truck was runinng wayyyyy back when (early 2010 lol).On a 70 degree day give or take iat's would rise no more then 25-30 degrees through a 0-130 pass at 11-12#'s.This is using the mods mentioned above.They will make a big difference if you push the blower hard enough.What size upper and lower pulley does your buddy have on his truck?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:11 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

The guy who built the engine is also a friend. I just stole a couple pics off his FB account, haha!

The lower pulley is aftermarket, SFI, and larger than stock. I don't know the size though. The upper pulley is smaller than stock, and the only one he has for it. I don't know the size, and can't find a pic of it. I'm sure I could measure it next week sometime.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z

What does his truck 60'?
They have been averaging 1.96
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
They have been averaging 1.96
Your friend needs headers and an intercooler and his truck will be a different animal. I would add a larger throttle body as well.

I was running around 12psi on my stock 6.0L with a 2.3 intercooled whipple and jba shorty headers and I was seeing 13.01 1/4 mile times out of my full size Denali.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

I would try headers and meth first. Think taking a second look at the iat and timing on a full pass would be worthwhile. Further optimizations could include a larger intake track and a f/I spec cam.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Headers should be first thing. Can't get it in unless you get it out.

On a ford L boost went down and power went up just by increasing headers from 1.5 to 1 7/8.
Now that started at 24psi and went down to 21.
Slightly different then our trucks but you getvthe idea.

Meth and intercooler is only needed if there is a heat problem.

300lbs is a lot and very easy to be under estamated. And surely will not help the 60fts.

Just because it's a larger engine does not mean it's making that muchore power.
It always hard comparing trucks and set ups seeing how no combinations are the same.

Put a 150 shot on it and let the big dog eat.
That will wake it up.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you/has he noticed any valve float? Thats alot going on for a single spring, imo
Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Launching!

There's your start"stock manifolds."
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

I agree with the headers. I also think the cam is way wrong for this many cubes, and a blower.

What options, if any, are there for getting a 90mm throttle body on this thing? Sincal, you mentioned something, can you give some more details?

Quick Reply: Whippled 408 thoughts