FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whippled 408 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I agree with the headers. I also think the cam is way wrong for this many cubes, and a blower.

What options, if any, are there for getting a 90mm throttle body on this thing? Sincal, you mentioned something, can you give some more details?
What cam do you think would be the best for this combo?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something like the LEP Maggie cam. Split duration, more lift. Gotta feed those cubes!

Definately needs better valvesprings at the same time.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill get some pics up later tonight...
Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Meth and intercooler is only needed if there is a heat problem.
If you are trying to get a decent amount of boost from a Whipple and you're not somehow aftercooling, then there will be a heat problem.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know you already know something is amiss and he is not getting the true potential out of his combination, and while everyone know weight is a factor, it’s not the sole player in what’s happening here. Just to give an example with a comparable vehicle of what should be comparable weight, Mark’s (04Denali – most people will recall his twin-turbo 438 build that ended tragically) 2004 Sierra Denali (also Quadrasteer equipped) with a stock LQ4, Magnacharger, methanol, mid-length headers, stock converter and Wester’s tuned ran very low 13’s in over 100deg Dallas heat. His truck tipped the scales at a touch over 6,000lbs at the time. Cooler air should have just tickled the 12sec mark.

I agree with what some of the others are saying, just because the engine is larger and should have a performance advantage over a stock sized power-plant, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it will if the combination is off.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
If you are trying to get a decent amount of boost from a Whipple and you're not somehow aftercooling, then there will be a heat problem.
As well as any other type of f/i. If you compress it, it will heat up. Looks like, unlike the top mounts, there are some good options for intercooling as well as meth post blower.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a crappy vid Roger...In the begining when I pop the hood you see the fabricated blower inlet and in the front of the blower a 3" outlet tube.It comes out pointed towards the bottom of the air filter box.The throttlebody is not on the inlet its on the intake mani.Making it a very loud blow though design but,yet effective for power.
http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/...=VIDEO0001.mp4
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with it needs headers like everyone has said.. That joker has gotta be moving a good amount of air..

That cam doesn't seem like it would be the best for that setup at all.. You need more exhaust duration to get the air that's being rammed down its throat out.. Prolly a 4-6 degree split and like you said it could use more lift being on a 408 I would say it could easily use .62x or so..

I bet with a good cam and headers the boost level would drop and he would prolly pick up some dang good power
Old 07-18-2011, 02:17 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Here's a crappy vid Roger...In the begining when I pop the hood you see the fabricated blower inlet and in the front of the blower a 3" outlet tube.It comes out pointed towards the bottom of the air filter box.The throttlebody is not on the inlet its on the intake mani.Making it a very loud blow though design but,yet effective for power.
http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/...=VIDEO0001.mp4
Ah, now I remember seeing that video before. Sounds like a spaceship.....

How many cubes is your engine, and how big is your throttle body, and headers/exhaust? Are you still working out the bugs, or has this thing made it down the track yet? IIRC, you're still working on it?

Thanks for your help here, seems that many don't take the Whipple 2.3 very far any more(or ever...)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by Bumpers
I agree with it needs headers like everyone has said.. That joker has gotta be moving a good amount of air..

That cam doesn't seem like it would be the best for that setup at all.. You need more exhaust duration to get the air that's being rammed down its throat out.. Prolly a 4-6 degree split and like you said it could use more lift being on a 408 I would say it could easily use .62x or so..

I bet with a good cam and headers the boost level would drop and he would prolly pick up some dang good power
I totally agree. Quoted from the LEP site, the LEP Maggie cam specs are....
224/230 .612/.612 116 LSA For supercharger applications. 2200-6800 RPM Power Band. Builds boost quick. Excellent idle manners. Recommended computer tuning after install. This camshaft is very popular with the Trailblazer and LS trucks.

There are bigger blower cams out there, but on stock 317 heads, I think it's a waste.

Quick Reply: Whippled 408 thoughts