FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?

How many people would be interested in a larger intercooler kit? I am thinking of selling a complete kit that uses some of the Magnacharger bracketry and some that will be included. It will come with everything you need to bolt it right up including instructions. The heat exchanger is a modified radiator which is 2 1/5 - 3 times the size of the factory. I feel that the stock intercooler system moves the water too fast through the heat exchanger to get propper cooling. I do not have any actual #'s of exact differences but will have them in the near future. This is just a feeler of the interest. I could supply this complete bolt-on kit for $xxx + shipping.
Here is a pic.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/PDRM0024.jpg

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 10-20-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with your theory, how are you going to slow the coolant down?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm...why R U interested in getting rid of it? Theory makes obvious sense, not sure you are slowing it down, just exposing it to the cooling fins longer...which would accomplish cooling it more. How long have you had this set up. Wonder just how "tight" Magna had the specs of the pump matched to flow of coolant...meaning if you are increasing the volume, can the pump handle that much more fluid?(obviously it can, but how long would it last? is the made to handle more volume?)

Last edited by dewmanshu; 10-19-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

The flow will slow down in the heat exchanger due to the same volume that the pump is pushing is spread out over a larger area. The water stays in the Hx much longer and has more time to cool off, as you said. The actual velocity of the coolant through the intercooler or through the pump will not change. It will help you get cooler water into the intercooler. The added volume would also help in the rate of temp increase after a long 1/4 mile run. I typically haven't seen much problems with IAT increasing until I get into 3rd gear. The radix hx is sized for the boost levels that they come with. This mod would really benefit you if you are running more boost or live in a hot climate.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
I agree with your theory, how are you going to slow the coolant down?
slowing down the coolant is easy, I have the diagram, actually CHP posted it earlier this year.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
slowing down the coolant is easy, I have the diagram, actually CHP posted it earlier this year.
Cool. I'm sure it is just a restricting orfice. What you got?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Launching!

interested
Old 10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a link to the CHP article for those who are interested. The question still lies; was the increase in cooling from lowering the flow rate due to the improvement of the thermal efficiency of the intercooler, the heat exchanger or both? Either way, the larger hx would definately help. I'll have to do my own little test with a resistor. I'll be making a trip to Radio Shack.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te..._ss/index.html
Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

They never put the actual pump circuit schematic they used in the article. I think it got left on the editing table. I'd like to see how you do the resistor deal. Also, I'm going to makea resovoir cooler out of a fuel cell I got off e-bay. Bacislly, it'll work just like the old Moroso cool can, but it's 6x6x12, and should fit right between the battery, and the rad. I'm planning on coiling some tubing inside it, and lining it vwith some kind of insulation. At the track, you can pack it with ice, or dry ice to really lower the intercooler coolant temps. Ishould have the tank by next week.

Quick Reply: Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?