FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckhand
How bout just getting a bigger water reservoir?

You could do that, too. Most of the Lightning guys just have a bigger tank they pack ice in. The only thing is, you can't run antifreeze, or Water Wetter, because it would get diluted by the ice.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wkdivr
You could do that, too. Most of the Lightning guys just have a bigger tank they pack ice in. The only thing is, you can't run antifreeze, or Water Wetter, because it would get diluted by the ice.

Ok this may sound really dumb but hear me out. WHAT IF you got one of them fancy plastic things you freese and toss in your drink to keep it from getting watered down but still keep it cold and use it in the resivor, of course it will have to be on a bigger scale but its doable, right?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how big an ice pack you drop in, you would have to get a bigger reservoir to make up for the water displaced by the pack. Still doable, short lived gains I'd imagine. The ice block would be heated up within a few minutes. You'd have to drop it in right before you staged or right after your run to get the temp back down.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Depending on how big an ice pack you drop in, you would have to get a bigger reservoir to make up for the water displaced by the pack. Still doable, short lived gains I'd imagine. The ice block would be heated up within a few minutes. You'd have to drop it in right before you staged or right after your run to get the temp back down.

Yeah I guess it would take too much space to make it worth a damn, I forgot how hot that radix gets.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
MJHOWARD, I know exactly what you are talking about and it makes sense. It works the same as air flow. If you have X amount of air traveling through a area and you increase the area the air will slow down, if you decrease the area then the air will speed up. Jet engines have divergent and convergent ducts, convergent decreases the area and speeds up the air, divergent increases the area and slows down the air. Same principal as fluid dynamics. What you are stating is that when the water enters the radiator it will slow down do to the increase in volume, when it enters back into the lines the flow rate will resume standard flow.

Maybe this will explain it better for those who are a little lost..
Thank you.
If I had to figure out another way to put it I was going to pull my hair out.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it is not thicker I'd be interested. When I installed my Radix the hx barely fit and required that I "relieve" several areas in the back of the grill before it would fit so anything I put in there has to be no thicker than the Radix hx.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimS
If it is not thicker I'd be interested. When I installed my Radix the hx barely fit and required that I "relieve" several areas in the back of the grill before it would fit so anything I put in there has to be no thicker than the Radix hx.
It is the same thickness as the radix. It uses the radix upper support mount where the HX slides into the cuff. There is plenty of room be hind my grill. But I don't know about the 99 - 02 grills. I have not trial fit it yet.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
It is the same thickness as the radix. It uses the radix upper support mount where the HX slides into the cuff. There is plenty of room be hind my grill. But I don't know about the 99 - 02 grills. I have not trial fit it yet.
When I bring my truck over and we do the engine swap you can test fit one on mine and see if it will work too.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward

The grill on my 02 would not go back on without cutting away a few parts from the back of the grill.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

I am contemplateing running this N-tercooler on the stock "Radix" heat exchanger for cool down before and after runs. These actually work real good with the air-2-water intercoolers. If you run a big enough heat exchanger you could probably run 2 of these. It will actually leave frost on your heat exchanger dramaticly reduceing the temp of the fluid. They will custom make an N-tercooler ring for you too.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Catalo...ntercooler.pdf

I have seen this done with CO2 rather then nitrous.

Quick Reply: Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?