FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Who's boostin 15 + psi on stock heads??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
How does the power compare between gas and e85 on the same boost?
the power from e85 comes from the added octane and cooling effect that allows more boost and timing. so when comparing e85 and reg gas on the same tune is like comparing reg gas and race gas on the same tune, you have to change timing/boost too see the real benefits..
really only thing i can see being different/benefit when comparing e85 and gas in same conditions is the obvious less prone to detonation factor that comes with the e85. so that might come out as less timing loss during hot spirited driving..
Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
pretty worthless , but seriously what heads, comp ratio, and fuel system break down?(pump/s line and rail size). also you should at least get it on the dyno again and get some numbers..
L92 Ported, 9.75CR, -10 from the pump splits to -8's with a -8 return from the regulator. Magnafuel 4301 fuel pump external, AeroMotive Fuel rails.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the power from e85 comes from the added octane and cooling effect that allows more boost and timing. so when comparing e85 and reg gas on the same tune is like comparing reg gas and race gas on the same tune, you have to change timing/boost too see the real benefits..
really only thing i can see being different/benefit when comparing e85 and gas in same conditions is the obvious less prone to detonation factor that comes with the e85. so that might come out as less timing loss during hot spirited driving..
Im well aware of how it works, and the higher octane doesnt have a cooling effect, it is less prone to detonation(aka pre-ignition) so you can run more timing given everything else constant.

I realize the tune has to be changed and thats why I asked, if you keep everything else constant but swap fuel there will be a difference in power due to having to run less timing with gas thus my question if he had done a direct comparison.

MNC5, how is that 6l80e holding up to all that power?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

the higher octane doesnt have a cooling effect

MNC5, how is that 6l80e holding up to all that power?
from what ive read the ethanol part does give a cooling effect when entering the chamber, esp on FI setups with their heat. ethanol is methanols distant cousin and people spray that for the octane and cooling effect, so id have to think there is some going on there imo..

yea mnc5 you have it built im assuming(if so who by?), havent heard people being able to put much power thru those yet..
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People running ethanol and people running 110 are running almost the exact same timing. The supra guys down here are havign great luck with ethanol and it seems a lot of the higher hp boosted cars around here are making the switch. I may very well myself. I very seriously doubt there is any real cooling effect that nets an ability run increased timing but never-the-less either way e85 is some good **** for a boosted motor, I just wish more stations carried it.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNC5
Forged 6.0 L92 Ported, 9.75CR..., cam, heads plus the full bolt on setup with a 25% OD cogged TVS2300, Innovators Crank Pulley and a 3.0 front pulley. Including fuel system that will support 1500hp on gas.

This truck hasn't been to the track and probably won't ever make it to one.

I've never done any comparisons sorry. But I can run a lot more timing with the E85

Comparing gas and E85 at the same almost 20psi is something I wouldn't do. I don't think I could get close to 20psi on pump gas without blowing it up.

My fuel mileage did go down but only about 10%. I run the AFR in the 15 range at cruise. Again sorry no track times only a few GTech runs. And when I had it on the dyno it was still blowing belts so I never got a full run on it. So how is that for worthless information:nunchuk1:
While u didn't compare @ 20#, they could've been compared on a lower (safer) boost level tho.

While it might not have been the best idea, I tried E85 on my 5.3 non-flex, & found it needed to be $.30 cheaper just to offset MPG loss. I never tuned or changed inj. or whatever else u need for E85. Tuning on NA or FI then seeing the performance benefit is another thread tho.

Why no track? You skurred or is it more of a street racer thing?

OK, on Gtech, what did u measure or what times? 0-60MPH? 60'? 1/4? Gimme somethin.

pretty worthless , but seriously what heads, comp ratio, and fuel system break down?(pump/s line and rail size). also you should at least get it on the dyno again and get some numbers..

...ethanol is methanols distant cousin and people spray that for the octane and cooling effect, so id have to think there is some going on there imo..

yea mnc5 you have it built im assuming (if so who by?), havent heard people being able to put much power thru those yet..

Distant cousins like a husband/ wife from Muncie?

You're askin a lot of Q's for a N/A guy.

Im well aware of how it works, and the higher octane doesnt have a cooling effect, it is less prone to detonation (aka pre-ignition) so you can run more timing given everything else constant.

I realize the tune has to be changed and thats why I asked, if you keep everything else constant but swap fuel there will be a difference in power due to having to run less timing with gas thus my question if he had done a direct comparison. ...
In an earlier reply to me, he said no, didn't wanna blow it up.

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a local guy pushin 15+ on a junkyard 6L on e85
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3C-drGounc
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub 10's, nice! In all fairness, it's a lighter package, so it doesn't have to work as hard when pushed to the edge like a truck. Not tryin to be obvious, just sayin as we turn up wick to get lower ET's, detonation is part of the game. But, point taken.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

People running ethanol and people running 110 are running almost the exact same timing. The supra guys down here are havign great luck with ethanol and it seems a lot of the higher hp boosted cars around here are making the switch. I may very well myself. I very seriously doubt there is any real cooling effect that nets an ability run increased timing but never-the-less either way e85 is some good **** for a boosted motor, I just wish more stations carried it.
yes it is, about the only good part from living surrounded by corn..
its not at every station around here, but i wouldnt have to drive very far to find it. thought i read its not hardly anywhere down south or west, or at least hard to find, is that true..?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Distant cousins like a husband/ wife from Muncie?

You're askin a lot of Q's for a N/A guy.
hey now, im south of you, but not that far south..

and ive read up alot about it mostly because we've got a family grand national project im gonna switch over to e85 hopefully soon and crank it up.. oh and i would probably also run it in my truck if/when i go FI..

Quick Reply: Who's boostin 15 + psi on stock heads??