FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Who's boostin 15 + psi on stock heads??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skolman, round here (I'm NE of you by a few miles), you have to kinda look for E85 stations. I know of 2, but since I usu. use Sunoco, ...only 1. There may be others, that's off top of my head ones I know of.
I tried it like said earlier, but w/o tuning, just a straight up what will this get me, no change(s) to anything. I'm not lookin to contest its' attributes, but found MPG loss, it was just better to run unleaded. Oh ya, I did this experiment when gas was more (can't remember, but it may've been $3 or $4.25, I just wanted a cheaper alternative).

Anyway, that Sunoco station always seemed to be out of it. I think it's cause he made more $ on higher priced unleaded. Kinda funny like that!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dadkins runs over 20lbs in his GTO with a stock LQ9. On e85.

Stock heads, stock head gaskets, stock bolts. Its got good valve springs.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I tried it like said earlier, but w/o tuning, just a straight up what will this get me, no change(s) to anything. I'm not lookin to contest its' attributes, but found MPG loss, it was just better to run unleaded.
definitely need to be tuned for the 85 to see the big difference. It takes 30+% more fuel volume when using e85, thats why the flex vehicles have bigger injectors and why you got the mpg loss..
e85 is not the wisest decision when talking mpg, it is however the **** when talking big ball stomping boost..
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skolman91
definitely need to be tuned for the 85 to see the big difference. It takes 30+% more fuel volume when using e85, thats why the flex vehicles have bigger injectors and why you got the mpg loss...
Like said, an "experiment".
How in the heck did MNC5 only suffer a 10% MPG hit? Cause he tuned for it?
Mine was more on the order of what u said, IIRC, ~ -25% in my "case".
Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Im well aware of how it works, and the higher octane doesn't have a cooling effect, it is less prone to detonation(aka pre-ignition) so you can run more timing given everything else constant.
Detonation is not pre-ignition Cody, Detonation is when the fuel charge is ignited with a spark and is too soon and or to low of octane then the combustion pressure get so high that the fuel explodes instead of burning creating an even nastier pressure spike.

Pre-ignition happens when fuel quality is too low and there is something in the combustion chamber, like a chunk carbon that upon compression gets hot enough to ignite the fuel BEFORE there is a spark, which will in turn lead to detonation because of the early ignition. See the difference?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what ive read the ethanol part does give a cooling effect when entering the chamber, esp on FI setups with their heat...
Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I very seriously doubt there is any real cooling effect that nets an ability run increased timing but never-the-less either way e85 is some good **** for a boosted motor, I just wish more stations carried it.
It takes 30+% more fuel volume when using e85,
You guys touched on it kinda... The added cooling effect of e85 comes from the additional volume required when using E85. It's not so much the fuel's make-up as much as it is the amount you have to use. The more fuel you use the more latent heat is removed from the cylinder by the incoming charge. Yes E85 cools the intake charge more so tha regular gas.

Also just FYI, most alcohal motors have a problem with icing/frosting on the intake and carubrators and have a hard time getting up to temp if ever due to the amount of fuel that they consume. Top Fuel dragsters go through 5 gallons of fuel in one run, the amount of cooling effect that has on the intake charge is ridiculous.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Although this has turned into an e85 thread............

To the OP, I've been running the stock 706 heads with ARP bolts (not studs).

I pushed the head gasket (water trail down the side of the block) on 15 psi and 24* of timing on race fuel. I ran 20* on pump gas all the time with no problems.

When I bumped it up to 23 psi I started with 14-16* and the truck ran good however it really didn't shine till I put 20* in it. From what I could tell it did not push any water at that level.

FYI, I've never had the heads off. Everytime is pushed water I let it cool down completely and it sealed right back up.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok this is good to hear.. I have posted up about a few things, feel much much more comfy hitting it with 15 psi. I also have decided to up the comp ratio to about 9.7-1 instead of 9.4. And BLOWN shoot me a PM with some details on that set up you had in the truck to go 10's in the 1320.. Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Where our street cars are faster than your racecars..Mississippi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a damn good e85 thread..

someone should start one about how much boost you can run through a stock head WITHOUT IT... we can not get it here we have 93
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
...I also have decided to up the comp ratio to about 9.7-1 instead of 9.4. And BLOWN shoot me a PM with some details on that set up you had in the truck to go 10's in the 1320.. Thanks
Most go down w/. CR, instead u go up.
Blown06, don't do it! He wants everyone to spill their secrets, yet he wants to give up nothing. It's all about him, ya know. Nah, nah!

Quick Reply: Who's boostin 15 + psi on stock heads??