FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Will dual heat exchangers help me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will dual heat exchangers help me?

I have a Vortech T trim with A/W setup on my TBSS. I'm using a trailblazer maggie heatexchanger setup. I'm thinking of adding another heatexchanger in the bumper between the open fog light area. I just don't want to do another heatexchanger and it does nothing to help. My truck is running fine and not sure if I'll even be able to get the IAT's down. I don't want to reinvent what I have, just a slight improvement. With the setup I have now when the temps are 70-90up IAT's are in the low 100's Idle and cruise, temps get the highest just before the 2-3 shift and then start to decrease. Max IAT's before the 2-3 shift are 150 and go down fairly quick afterwards.

When it cold out IAT's are in the 120's at the 2-3 shift. Here are some of the things I've already tried.

1. Larger Storage tank, only works for the moment when filling with ice. IAT's go well below ambient. I could fill it with 7lbs of ice but have todo it after every run, don't want tobe bothered with that. Otherwise there was no change from the small maggie container I was using, what I'm using again now.

2. I've tried wrapping the intercooler all the way upto the T body to keep the heat soak down, it only made things worse.

3. Tried slowing the pump down

4. Tried slowing the water flow down. All different ways with the hoses.

5. Try adding another heatexhanger?

I've been told to just leave it alone, truck ripps, logs are good etc......and that my IAT's are normal and not bad at all.

Are my IAT's normal for an SC setup? I don't mind adding another H/E but I'm not really into doing it if it's not going to help. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my limited experience larger heat exchangers help recover quicker but don't do much to keep IATs down. How much boost?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

7-8psi
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Route the water through your heater core. YOu loose the heater but not needed in the summer months. Since your air temps fall with your current set up I do not think adding another HX will help much if any.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I remember you telling me about the heater core deal when I asked about slowing the pump down. I just might try this. Seems pretty simple.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

What about something like the Killer chiller? Someone with a Silverado just had something made not to long ago and the GTO guys are starting to develop something as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

trick right there has a chiller killer link in his sig^^^ sponser
Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

How about an air/air intercooler?

Just askin...

Last edited by trever1t; 12-09-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I don't really want to mess with the AC and all for the killer chiller, unless for some odd reason I get the urge to. Don't want todo air/air. I don't want to change the setup I have, I'm totally fine with it. Just wanted to see if I could cool the water down abit more.

Might just have todo something with a killer chiller type setup.......
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Route the water through your heater core. YOu loose the heater but not needed in the summer months. Since your air temps fall with your current set up I do not think adding another HX will help much if any.
With doing this, what kind of HP loss is there? With having the AC cranking, and the Alternator needing to charge things there must be some HP loss. But does the lower IAT's make up for this?

Quick Reply: Will dual heat exchangers help me?