FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Will Turbo'd Gibbs ever run again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that's a pretty popular gasket setup for sure, but I'm just curious as to how an o-ring got mashed or at least how you think it got pinched or mis-aligned.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn bro that blows. I hope you are able to get her back on the road soon.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Yeah that's a pretty popular gasket setup for sure, but I'm just curious as to how an o-ring got mashed or at least how you think it got pinched or mis-aligned.
Where the ends of the wire meet it has to be "massaged" in the groove and I think it was massaged a little to much.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

So you think there's a gap there? I'm not to familiar with o-rings, are they like filing piston rings to fit?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should try just regular old GM MLS gaskets. I'm not sure how they work with the ring in the block but, I know there are some big horsepower cars over on tech running the MLS with orings in the heads with great success. I've never really heard of a copper gasket that didn't have leaking problems.

You should call a witch doctor to help get rid of that TX curse.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What curse?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Maybe you should try just regular old GM MLS gaskets. I'm not sure how they work with the ring in the block but, I know there are some big horsepower cars over on tech running the MLS with orings in the heads with great success. I've never really heard of a copper gasket that didn't have leaking problems.

You should call a witch doctor to help get rid of that TX curse.
I have a brand new set of MLS's in the shop. I've never heard of using orings with them. I'll have to check into doing that maybe. Water leaking is going to happen with copper gaskets but compression past the oring is not. But if I had used Moroso Ceramic Seal in the water when I first cranked it like I have done before I wouldn't have had any water leakage issues.

The oring is nothing more than a roll of .040" wire that they cut to length and tamp it into the groove to where the ends but up perfectly.

I don't know what to do about the curse of the 418. I think it is because he left a few ods and ends from his truck laying around. I think I will have to purge the shop of all his spare parts to get rid of it.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did I leave? You still got the donor crank out of the 6L? Dont get rid of that ****, Ill get it when I come up if you are really serious. Im coming up mid April so get your **** up and running by then, we need a rematch at HSV
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just kidding of course. Do you actually think i'd get rid of anything

It won't be down very long come hell or high water. I'll make time to get it going this time. I'm tired of it being broke that is for damn sure.
Mid April shouldn't be too much of a problem to get it going but we have this damn refueling outage and power uprate on U2 at work that is scheduled from Feb 19-April 8th. I'll probably be on 6-12's day shift so I'll have 1 day a week off. And I may come down with an illness, you never know.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I have a brand new set of MLS's in the shop. I've never heard of using orings with them. I'll have to check into doing that maybe. Water leaking is going to happen with copper gaskets but compression past the oring is not. But if I had used Moroso Ceramic Seal in the water when I first cranked it like I have done before I wouldn't have had any water leakage issues.

The oring is nothing more than a roll of .040" wire that they cut to length and tamp it into the groove to where the ends but up perfectly.

I don't know what to do about the curse of the 418. I think it is because he left a few ods and ends from his truck laying around. I think I will have to purge the shop of all his spare parts to get rid of it.
Check out the FI forum on Tech. I know there are some recent threads over there talking about gaskets/sealing. If I think about it tomorrow I'll look some up and link them here.

Quick Reply: Will Turbo'd Gibbs ever run again?