FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Would you buy a supercharged truck with 160k+miles??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a supercharged truck with 160k+miles??

Looking to buy a truck a 2000 Silverado and it has a whipple supercharger on it. It's got 160k miles. Supposedly tranny was rebuilt at 100k and so it has 60k on it and the supercharger done at the same time. Running 5 psi of boost.
I dont know much about FI and it's always something I was interested in but I dont have the knowledge to know if it was done correctly or what to inspect when looking at the truck.

First, would you buy this truck with such high miles and FI?
And if it depends on condition, what would you check? I know what to check for a used vehicle things like driving straight, knocking, crank issues, idle, weird noises, hard shifts, etc. But I imagine there must be things to check specific to superchargers or the Whipple in particular. I have very limited and basic CONCEPTUAL understanding of a supercharger but nothing specific. I know that sometimes it's good to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors and also get a tuen to get max performance out of it. I also heard (generally) that you need to get an intercooler and a BOV to release pressure and also to cool the air so your engine doesnt wear fast.

How will I know if the supercharger has been done correctly to maximize engine life so I dont buy this truck and end up having to rebuild or get a new engine after 10k miles because the supercharger is running it too hard?
Also please assume the owner doesn't know much about what was done, might be the previous guy before him that did the work.

Thanks if someone could respond asap it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 AM
On The Tree

Is the truck at a dealership or an individual? If its at a dealership... there might be something hurt internally and he just unloaded it. Does it have gauges?... boost? Wideband? Personally I would be looking that truck over for rust in the cab corners and over the rear wheels. The motor should run and sound like a normal engine... if it has stock cam. With the extra noise from the blower of course. The best way to maximize engine life is to not install a supercharger... but low boost helps an engine last longer.

If its an individuals truck I would be asking who tuned it, what kind of tune, what numbers, what injectors, why is he selling, and see how he reacts to the questions. You gotta feel him out cause theres shady people that will pass off their problems and won't tell a soul.

But if it checks out, I am sure you will enjoy the boost and want to turn it up and really have some fun. Do it and come to the dark side. But once you get a taste, theres no going back... and you always want more.

Last edited by 04SilverCrew; 05-17-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

5psi turn that up. take it out for some wide open throttle runs. If it sound good. 5psi isnt much. Most sc come at 6psi now. what whipple is it and what size pulley. I bet its more then 5psi. But Im new to SCs. get a catch can if it dont have one already.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

160k is barely broken in for the engine. Test drive it and check it out like a normal vehicle. Does it it feel like a pile of crap or not?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

I'm with these guys. If it is a private owner; accumulate reasons for the sale. If it has more than one owner I would walk away unless he was given it from father or brother whom can give you all the info you seek. I want to know if the whipple has a cooler or not. if you have not obtained that info yet.. I have seen people slap on whiplpes and have no way to cool IAT's whether air to water or air to air..also has engine been rebuilt, and if not why did the SC have to be rebuilt? Is interior in decent shape? The question of the hour---How much do they want for it..Hope it works out for you!
If it is a red extended cab PM m
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

My first supercharged vehicle was a higher mileage 96 suburban 454 with a whipplecharger. The supercharger belt kept coming off until I finally found a shop who could line things up.

Unfortunately, I ultimately discovered that the truck had been ridden hard and put away wet - I spent 20000 for it in 2003 and by 2004 when I sold it (after it left me and my family stranded on the highway in the middle of winter), I had pumped at least $10,000 into it for repairs.

So if you are not handy mechanically (I am definitely NOT!), be prepared to shell out some $$$$$ potentially.

Not trying to scare you away from joining the ranks of forced induction, but it does cost $$$$ to play, especially if you can't do your own wrenching.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Blowndenalixl; 05-23-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you buy it? Hes only got 1 post and hasn't replied to anything. I think it fell through.