FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Would you buy a vortech supercharger for an ecsb 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a vortech supercharger for an ecsb 4x4?

I KNOW a roots style blower would be better for a heavy truck like mine, but lets face it, they're expensive. I've searched and searched and I know that's what everyone will reccomend. And if I could find one cheap enough I'd jump on it. With that being said, I found a used vortech centrifugal blower for sale for $1400 obo with intercooler, just needs piping, everything else is there.
Now, I'm thinking I could be into the vortech and 80e swap for less than a used radix or TVS setup. Which sounds extremely nice.
My truck already has longtubes and will be getting an 80e swap and somewhere around a 3000 stall since I do tow some. Also has a Detroit truetrac and 3:73 gears.
My questions boil down to:
Is this a good deal?
How much power would I be making with about 12lbs boost?
How is it going to drive in a heavy truck with 33" tires?
Would you do a centrifugal blower over a roots style to save around $2000? Or is a roots style blower $2000 worth of more fun?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What all comes with it and what trim is it? Vortech is a decent centri blower..
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Don't forget to add up the cost of piping, couplers, clamps, fuel system upgrades and tuning. Also any guages you may need, at least a wideband.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Don't forget to add up the cost of piping, couplers, clamps.
Those are the only items you will need over a tvs or similar. both will need fuel/tunning. apples to apples
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_cauley
Those are the only items you will need over a tvs or similar. both will need fuel/tunning. apples to apples
If you buy a TVS new it comes with fuel system upgrades and tuning.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Don't do it! Have a buddy that did one and was not happy with the results power wise. Plus currently my brother has one on his avalanche4x4 cammed intercooled with the vortech unit a level 4 4l80e on 10 to 11 pounds of boost and he barely takes my rcsb that's cam fbo only by about half a truck. Go with a roots its worth the money.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

psh... go turbo.. you know all the cool kids are doin that these days...

but if you do go with that SC, make sure the bearings and stuff are good in it.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
What all comes with it and what trim is it? Vortech is a decent centri blower..
Looks like it's a v1. Comes with brackets, new belt, 10-12lb pulley, fmu, oil feed lines, bypass valve, and air to air intercooler.

Don't forget to add up the cost of piping, couplers, clamps, fuel system upgrades and tuning. Also any guages you may need, at least a wideband.
Originally Posted by bk_cauley
If you buy a TVS new it comes with fuel system upgrades and tuning.
It's also around 6k.
Originally Posted by LilRedRidingHood
Don't do it! Have a buddy that did one and was not happy with the results power wise. Plus currently my brother has one on his avalanche4x4 cammed intercooled with the vortech unit a level 4 4l80e on 10 to 11 pounds of boost and he barely takes my rcsb that's cam fbo only by about half a truck. Go with a roots its worth the money.
What size stall does he have? I see your in Colorado, maybe that has something to do with it. At sea level that vortech might make more power. Not sure, just a thought.
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
psh... go turbo.. you know all the cool kids are doin that these days...

but if you do go with that SC, make sure the bearings and stuff are good in it.
I've thought about a turbo also. Seems like it would be about the same as a centi, maybe the larger tires and 3:73s will help it spool up quick since its under a load.

Alright so lets consider a turbo also. Would I see more low end gains from a smaller turbo than the vortech?
What's the power going to be like in between 1500-2000 rpms with the vortech or turbo? How much power over stock at those rpm levels?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on which turbo... it gives you lots of options..
I do know the S475 doesnt feel like it make as much power at 5-6psi at 2000rpm than the rear mount 60mm i use to run. But it still gets gone towing a trailer.

I think something like a S368 (i think thats the one) would be awesome for a low boost 5.3 setup like yours.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

@ mud slinger . His stall is a 3000 and yeah up here in colorado the elevation sucks so realistically he hasn't ran his truck at the track but were guessing its somewere in the 14s to 13s up here so at sea level it'd be a second less. But for being charged that's kinda dissapointing another buddy of ours went 12s with less on a d1procharger

Quick Reply: Would you buy a vortech supercharger for an ecsb 4x4?