FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

wow! 919hp @ 10lbs of boost!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by leftcoast32
... we can turn the engine till we see the peak even on a 1 to 1 ratio supercharger. ...
Does that imply that an engine (or this engine) peaks higher with less boost? I am just trying to figure out why you would even turn a supercharger so slowly. I think at that ratio, a supercharger would actually be a restriction.
???
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

You want the supercharger to require as little drive power as possible (ie, lowest boost and slowest speed), but its airflow to peak at the same point as the engine.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Does that imply that an engine (or this engine) peaks higher with less boost? I am just trying to figure out why you would even turn a supercharger so slowly. I think at that ratio, a supercharger would actually be a restriction.
???
Turning the blower slower, with less drive speed lets you turn the motor higher in RPM, and moves the torque curve up in the RPM band before the blower runs out of breath. Since horse power is nothing more then a mathematical equation of torque times RPM, the high in the RPM band you can carry the torque, the more horse power you will show.

As long as there is positive boost, the blower can not be a restriction. The old way of big motor (427) and max blower speed, makes a ton of lower to mid range torque, but the blower runs out of breath before you can get to the high RPM to make the high horse power numbers.

A 2300cc blower can only move X amount of air (either in lower RPMs or higher RPM of motor speed) before it becomes extremely inefficient and just blows hot air. So you pulley the blower speed where you want the good air. (high engine RPM makes high horse power)
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine has all Jesel Solid Roller valve train. It can also be spun alot higher with the shorter stroke. This way we can test different options on builds and supercharger packages. We can use it to see where the airflow peaks and then back build the package to the intended operating range. What we are playing with is letting the rotor speed match the airflow in testing. We hope to be back on the dyno again in about 3 months.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks for the explanations, fellers. I am sure that I am not the only one who had the reference of a 1:1 supercharger go right over their head.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Would like to see what the motor makes NA so you can see how efficient the blowers are.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Would like to see what the motor makes NA so you can see how efficient the blowers are.
I understand the curiousity but the engine was only built for boost. The compression, cam and heads are not where it would need to be for an N/A max effort.

I am really looking forward to the next round of testing where we will be able to see it really shine in the higher RPM's. Maybe a peak at over 8000 RPM's and she should really scream.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leftcoast32
I understand the curiousity but the engine was only built for boost. The compression, cam and heads are not where it would need to be for an N/A max effort.

I am really looking forward to the next round of testing where we will be able to see it really shine in the higher RPM's. Maybe a peak at over 8000 RPM's and she should really scream.
I realize it's built for boost and not for max NA results, but knowing what the motor makes all by its self will show how well and in what RPM's range the blowers are working.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I realize it's built for boost and not for max NA results, but knowing what the motor makes all by its self will show how well and in what RPM's range the blowers are working.
I agree. I've always figured 20 to 25 hp increase per lb of boost on a belt driven blower. The Heartbeat seems to be high side of that unless this motor is making really stupid power n/a. I didn't see meth mentioned. On the previous TVS units, my impression was that meth added octane, but did little to cool the IAT's. Maybe stave off heat soak. Was meth used on this one? Race gas?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I agree. I've always figured 20 to 25 hp increase per lb of boost on a belt driven blower. The Heartbeat seems to be high side of that unless this motor is making really stupid power n/a. I didn't see meth mentioned. On the previous TVS units, my impression was that meth added octane, but did little to cool the IAT's. Maybe stave off heat soak. Was meth used on this one? Race gas?
We use VP Motorsport 109 unleaded while on the engine dyno for safety. We dont use any meth on the dyno as the engine is still fresh.

I am really unsure what the engine would make for power with a standard intake N/A. Maybe we can set up an N/A test the next dyno session just to see where it is at. Remember this combination wont peak till well above 7500 RPM's.

We really need a supercharger that can push the upper limits of the engine as it was designed, that is where it should really shine.

Quick Reply: wow! 919hp @ 10lbs of boost!