Notices
Ford Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, 4.6, 5.4 Triton

I have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a ?

My bro has a 2000 F150 excab short bed with a 5.4 in it... and the darn thing keeps blowing out the spark plugs... i have been working on cars and trucks for 14 years now and i could never figure out what the hell causes it... or icould be just a brain fart. could some of you give me some clue how we can fix it..

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blowing out the plugs? Somebody somewhere cross-threaded them and they are damaged. You will need to heli-coil. How's that for armchair mechanic'ism?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Teching In

well that is good but... the plugs were never replaced until this happend. we had plans to do it due to the 100k on the truck and crapy gas milage but its a truck they never get good gas milage. so thanks for the info its helpful....

Sorry im a chevy guy and i had my share of work on fords... but fords are cool im never knock the other guy.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Plug problem common

I have a buddy up in Illinois and he blew one out last year. Our friend that works for a dealership says its not too uncommon for the 4.6 or 5.4 to do that. Why he doesn't know exactly but we think it is from someone cross threading them at one time, or even if they get water past the boots it will start corroding and then you get the blow out. When replacing them use anti seize that they recommend to keep from the corrosion issue. Helicoils can be a real bit to do if the head is a little messed up.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:39 AM
I paid my buck-o-five

the reason the 2 valve modular motors blow out the plugs is ebcause people don't torquen them dry to 28#

do not helicoil a modular ford motor, time cert is acceptable but a stitch-n-cert is the best way to go