FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Fuel sender not talking to fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel sender not talking to fuel gauge

I just purchased a 2001 Silverado RCSB regency. Got a good deal cause it needs some work. I replaced the fuel pump because of low fuel pressure and lean codes. I installed a 340lph and ordered the ractronics harness and upgraded bulkhead connector kit. While reinstalling the fuel sender assembly I broke the little circuit board for the fuel level. Not wanting to replace the whole sender I ordered the dorman kit that comes with the upgraded connector heaver wiring and the fuel level board. After installing this upgrade kit the gauge shows 0 fuel and the message low fuel comes up. I have put my muti meter to use and the ohms go up and down with the float powered off. powered up the voltage go's up and down with the float. If I can read it on my meter why doesn't the computer/cluster see it?

Any help is appreciated

P.S. gauge worked when I filled the truck up bringing it home from its former owner.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

So I ordered and installed whole new sender pump assembly. NO change. I did notice the needle jumps when I first turn the key on then back to E. Any Ideas?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it be something amiss with the racetronix harness ?

I'm having the same issue , had installed the racetronix hot wire kit , upgraded bulkhead , worked fine , then I pulled the sending unit back out and swapped the 340 I had for a new 450 , since then my fuel gauge doesn't work . I also swapped float assemblies with a spare and no dice.

I haven't had time to look at it , but I need to get it fixed . In for info.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. It's not the ractronics kit cause I removed it and have the same problem. I'm thinking ground but where to look? The one ground on the bed mount right there seems good. Open for ideas.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance the new board or whatever is opposite of the old one? Like on the old one, full = high voltage, and now full = low voltage? I think on the diesels they switched it between 05 and 06...just a possibility.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Thought of that so I operated it out side of the tank no position of the float reads on the dash. Just to make sure I replaced the whole sender/pump assembly with no change. Keep the ideas flowing
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah this problem sucks , gotta get off my duff and see how to get it fixed .
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM
High on diesel fumes

Have you confirmed continuity of the wiring to be sure the readings are actually getting to the PCM? If you can find a wiring diagram you should be able to find the correct pins in the PCM connectors, then check for continuity to the fuel level sensor connector at the tank.

Also, if you have a scan tool like HPT or EFILive, you should be able to scan for fuel level to see if the PCM is seeing it. If no, then you have a wiring problem, if so, then you have a gauge cluster problem.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Teching In

That I have not done. If some one has a diagram or knows where these terminate that would be very helpful. Maybe the ground locations for this circuit.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
High on diesel fumes

Try this

PCM pinout diagrams

Quick Reply: Fuel sender not talking to fuel gauge