FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Holley hydro mat fuel socks/pickups?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Holley hydro mat fuel socks/pickups?

Hey guys, What do you think about these fuel mats pickups for our trucks and boosted applications where fuel runs away from the pickup during hard acceleration? Seems it could eliminate the fuel starvation with low fuel levels and hard launches.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/
Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting...
Old 12-15-2015, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did twin 450 Walbro in a stock bucket, hence the stock venturi system went. Used a venturi pump from Radium Auto on the return line and used a piece of 3" x 15" Hydramat to feed the suction side of the venturi pump. Hydramat free floats on a piece of ptfe hose. Tried strapping it to the bucket but couldn't get it through the tank hole. I am able to read the stock fuel pressure in the return line and am only seeing 16psi of restriction versus 58 psi on the feed.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

awesome
Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. I've really been needing to figure out how to get my venturi to work with my return style system. Maybe this will be a simpler answer!? Oh wait, I can't connect that to the bottom of my walbro 450......
Old 12-15-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

doesn't look like anything useful to me.

The only one that may benefit is that huge one that could cover the entire bottom of the tank, but it would never fit in the hole.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
doesn't look like anything useful to me.

The only one that may benefit is that huge one that could cover the entire bottom of the tank, but it would never fit in the hole.
It can be folded up to fit thought the hole. The one they make for NASCAR fuel cells is the size of the whole bottom of the tank and those cells only have a hole about the size of our bucket holes to fit it though. And only one part of it has to be touching the fuel. It's like a sponge too, it's constantly holding fuel so if it comes completely uncovered for a second or two, there is still fuel inside to that it can suck from.

Looks like it would work well. A long skinny one toward the back of the tank I think would do wonders.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
Hmmm. I've really been needing to figure out how to get my venturi to work with my return style system. Maybe this will be a simpler answer!? Oh wait, I can't connect that to the bottom of my walbro 450......
I think they have some that will plug on to a pump like a factory sock does.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radium Auto has a kit to attach in such a manner to a walbro pump. Question is how much the Hydramat would flow used strictly as a fuel pump pickup. Read somewhere the theory that too much suction would shut the capillary action on the hydramat. I used it strictly as a filter to feed the venturi pump and dump fuel into the bucket.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when i was researching these they were still pretty new but i found a guy that bought one and it couldnt flow enough for his turbo 350z or whatever it was. he even worked with holley on it and they couldnt give him any kind of flow numbers. he ended up getting rid of it.

Quick Reply: Holley hydro mat fuel socks/pickups?