FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

L9H Flex Fuel Injectors Supposedly Different

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default L9H Flex Fuel Injectors Supposedly Different

I have been searching for a thread around here I saw and now I can't find it. If I remember correctly supposedly the L9H flex fuel injectors are a lot shorter, which I thought all of the GEN IV stuff was taller anyway which made everything not compatible, given that 90% of this forum is GEN III stuff.

Right now at around 70% ethanol on my 2011 6.2 L9H with stock injectors and brand new stock flex fuel pump I am approaching 90% DC, at around 4-6 psi of boost. This truck will be 100% E85 ran only since it is everywhere around me so I plan on leveraging it to the maximum. If I have to admit a goal I will say 600-700, but as we all know that will change to 800+.

I haven't had to look into injectors in a long time but after attempting to look around, when did injectors get this expensive? I seriously will have more money in injectors than I will in everything else? I messed around with Atomic's spreadsheet and if I want the cushion I need to be able to run pure E85 effectively, it's looking like I will need to spend almost 2000 in injectors alone, and that's not counting what I will have to do to the rest of the fuel system. If I remember right I think I remember getting GEN III flex injectors for a couple hundred dollars, yes I know that is an OEM injector but still way cheaper than 1-2k. These new injectors must have precious metals in them or something?

At this point, I will be heading towards 93 octane gasoline since I think I should be able to do 600-700 on that and supplement with methanol injector as well. I was really hoping to take advantage of 100% E85 availability though.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:42 PM
DuNnO

Received 457 Likes on 369 Posts

What size injectors are you looking at?
Never paid 2k for injectors but we dont have E85 around here. On some of the turbo trucks running X98 we just run FIC 225# that are about $800.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RDF1
What size injectors are you looking at?
Never paid 2k for injectors but we dont have E85 around here. On some of the turbo trucks running X98 we just run FIC 225# that are about $800.
So their 180 lb/hr (1650) injectors would be about $1600. Yes, I probably wouldn't need that much flow but to have a cushion like stock I would need them. I could probably get by with the 130 lb/hr or maybe even the 100 lb/hr, but that is still almost 1k in injectors, I think that would kill the extra benefits easily you get from E85 and would be way cheaper to just run meth? I almost think I could get by on my stock injectors on 93 and methanol injection.

I am looking at their (FIC) 6.2 09-13 truck line of injectors, but even still if the flex fuel has special sized injectors on the L9H, I wouldn't think these would work either? From comparing the outside of my injectors to another GEN IV truck, the connector harnesses do in fact look different, mine have a green clip on them and a grey harness body, which seem very unique.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also I guess I would probably only get probably 20 bucks for my stock injectors if I try to sell them to cover some of the cost, but maybe not, I think they are 54 lb/hr @ 58 psi so I would think they would be somewhat desirable.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:20 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by jclark10
I have been searching for a thread around here I saw and now I can't find it. If I remember correctly supposedly the L9H flex fuel injectors are a lot shorter, which I thought all of the GEN IV stuff was taller anyway which made everything not compatible, given that 90% of this forum is GEN III stuff.
They are shorter than Gen3 with different intake bore sizes too.

L9H Flex Fuel Injectors Supposedly Different-z3mt0cc.jpg
Old 02-15-2022, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedXray
They are shorter than Gen3 with different intake bore sizes too.

Thanks RedXray, that makes a lot more sense now, L9H injectors are basically LS7/LS3/LS9 injectors at least size wise. So theoretically I could use any injector designed for a LS3/LS7/LS9/L99/LSA/etc. as long as its E85 compatible of course.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I saw a few things about decapping while searching through a few threads, and while I am sure the consensus is most people are "frowning" upon it not only because its probably a cheap way out, but just because it doesn't maintain the spray pattern and stuff.

However, if they are flow tested good enough maybe it can be a permanent and reliable alternative, that is if they flow enough after decapping of course? I understand though we shouldn't try to "cheap out", especially if we are aiming for reliability and drivability.

I've also been looking on any info about trying to push the stock FPCM module with the parameters we have available in HP Tuners, but info on that is very scarce, I know someone though started a thread about something similar below. I know on the GEN V Camaro FPCM's they can be "boosted" up by ramping up the low voltage pump boosting functions, so you could accomplish the same thing as a physical boost a pump. The same parameters aren't there in my FPCM OS in my truck though.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone ever heard about fuel injector sticking problems with 100% E85 use? I guess this obviously doesn't apply to the OEM flex fuel injectors, but apparently vendors are saying you have to run a tank of regular gas through the engine every couple tanks of E85 to prevent sticking.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

Decapped injectors are garbage. It's not just the flow rate that changes, it's all the injector characteristics that change when you do that.

I could see injector sticking up if you are running E98 or E100 fuel but not E85 like you typed out. The vehicle would have to sit for a long while though. 100% E85 would mean it's just E85 with 15% gasoline and I run E70-E80 all summer long here and never run into problems on my direct injected truck and didn't have problems on my 2012 truck either.

Running an injector cleaner, seaform or berrymans fuel treatment would likely stop the injector worries.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jclark10
Does anyone ever heard about fuel injector sticking problems with 100% E85 use? I guess this obviously doesn't apply to the OEM flex fuel injectors, but apparently vendors are saying you have to run a tank of regular gas through the engine every couple tanks of E85 to prevent sticking.
never heard of this and have not experienced this.

Quick Reply: L9H Flex Fuel Injectors Supposedly Different