FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

New fuel pump assembly , walbro 255lph TU432HP . replace the fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New fuel pump assembly , walbro 255lph TU432HP . replace the fuel line?

I just got my walbro 255lph TU432HP complete assembly . The fuel line it comes with is the plastic one. I have heard of this cracking or collapsing causing issues and replacing it with some high pressure submersible fuel line. Is this recommend to replace this before I through it in there or is the one that comes from walbro OK?

if I should replace - how to pull the line off? it seems to be on there extremely tight . so tight I feel like I have to actually cut the tube.

thanks
_Zblee
Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

The plastic line is actually better than the submersible rubber, more flexible anyway. You will have to cut the old line to get it off. You will probably need to heat the new line so it is soft enough to push on to the fitting.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Atomic
The plastic line is actually better than the submersible rubber, more flexible anyway. You will have to cut the old line to get it off. You will probably need to heat the new line so it is soft enough to push on to the fitting.
I wouldn't think it needs to be too flexible? the bucket is pretty stationary no?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I have a gauge for that

It is, but its important to have a smooth flow. It kinks less easily than the rubber hose is a better way to say it. As long as the rubber isn't kinked it will be fine though.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Launching!

It is, but its important to have a smooth flow. It kinks less easily than the rubber hose is a better way to say it. As long as the rubber isn't kinked it will be fine though.
speaking of smooth flow.. the rubber hose is smooth on the inside but the plastic one that comes with it has huge ribs along the entire tube ( I am guessing to make it more flexible?) I also am assuming it is ribbed on the inside as well. so wouldnt this be less than ideal for a 'smooth flow'?

sorry for all the questions just trying to get all the info i can

_Zblee
Old 11-12-2015, 01:11 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yea, but the hose in question is pre-regulator. The regulator will adjust for any pressure looses between it and the pump. I don't there is a measureable difference between the two hoses over that length.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Yea, but the hose in question is pre-regulator. The regulator will adjust for any pressure looses between it and the pump. I don't there is a measureable difference between the two hoses over that length.
makes sense, I was just going off of what you previously said already about a smooth flow.

so , like you mentioned in your first post, you said that the plastic line is better vs the thicker high pressure submersible rubber line.

I am curious to hear others opinions on this.

_Zblee
Old 11-13-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Had that same module in my turbo truck for 2 years, no issues. I just switchest the 255 out for the 340, and used the rubber hose.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

always use oe style nylon hose in tank versus rubber
Old 11-13-2015, 07:19 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have read that the ribbed teflon hose is actually intended to smooth out the pulses in the flow.

edit: Found it in the service manual:

Fuel Pump
The fuel pump is mounted in the fuel sender assembly reservoir. The fuel pump is an electric high pressure pump. Fuel is pumped to the fuel rail at a specified flow and pressure. The fuel pump delivers a constant flow of fuel to the engine during low fuel conditions and aggressive vehicle maneuvers. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the electric fuel pump operation through a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump flex pipe acts to dampen the fuel pulses and noise generated by the fuel pump.

Last edited by DrX; 11-14-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: New fuel pump assembly , walbro 255lph TU432HP . replace the fuel line?