FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

stock fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock fuel pump replacement

Pump went on my 03 Silverado with the 5.3. The truck does have a 3" body lift on it currently. I've replaced the fuel pump on my COPrice a few times but NEver have done it on the truck.

I've been told to pull the bed or at least "tilt" the bed towards the passenger side to get the pump out and the new one in.

It's also been told to just drop the stupid tank (of course it's 3/4's full) & do the job that way.

Does anyone know with the bed lifted off the frame how much space you need to get the pumps in and out???

Suggestions on the best way to do this job appreciated.

OHHH and the Spectra premium pump I got thru ROCK AUTO was about a $100.00 cheaper with 2 days shipping than ANY of the local auto parts stores.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the best way.

Name:  6ccc8fa1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  104.7 KB
Name:  faa76f37.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  119.0 KB

Good luck with that Spectre pump. I hope it lasts. Most don't.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick response, was thinking of doing exactly this with the truck.

You got me nervous with the pump choice though. I hope being as how the truck is stock in the performance side except for a duel exhaust setup it will last.

But being as how you opened the door.... what pump have you gone with????

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

On a stock truck that needs a module I only use Delphi.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

I saw them but hopefully due to limited cash flow at the moment I dont kick myself in the a$$.

Next ? any idea what's the correct gasket for the pumps. I've got the pump for the TCF VIN coded trucks.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

I'm not sure what you're asking?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

The o-ring gasket that's between the pump and the tank, according to Rock Auto's web site the pump comes with everything EXcept the o-ring gasket. Was wondering if you knew if there are different types of gaskets for the pumps or not.

I know that my COPrice had 2 or 3 different pumps & o-rings for the pumps.

I've got the bed all loose and tilted like your photos. THANK YOU
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Just swap the old gasket back in.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

I just hope it's not like what I've experianced before, torn & useless.

Thanks for all your help, pump will be here in the morning. Hope to be up and running before the day is out tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Just to finish up this thread, the new pump is in. I have the 2 connectors on this trucks pump known as a "TCF" version according to the VIN. I had to rewire the square connector as the new pump came with a new connctor claiming that those connectors are known to have issues from arching and causing the voltage to drop @ the pump connector. The connector was actually melted a bit.

Only suggestion or word of advice: IF: the metal retaining ring is really rusty looking and you have issue in getting the ring loose, replace it with a new 1! After 2 hours tring to loosen the one on the truck I called the dealership (friggin rip off ) and replaced the ring with a new one. GM Part #'s 15036060, 15734494, TR19... @ Rock Auto its $12.72 plus shipping where the Dealer charged me $25.00 plus tax!

Poorly made product that it only has the rust preventer on it like a new body panel that you get and it needs to be painted before installation. I really needed the truck back tonight so its on for now and I will paint it & a bunch of other stuff this summer when I know I have a few good days to ride the Harley to and from work.

Thanks again AKlowriderZ71 for all your help in posting pics of how to do it without dropping the tank or removing the bed entirely.

Quick Reply: stock fuel pump replacement