Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

00 Sierra with ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 00 Sierra with ABS problem

Please help! I have a random problem with my ABS. When coming to a stop sometimes my ABS will engage. It doesn't matter how hard or soft I apply the brakes, if they are hot or cold, road condition, or pretty much anything else I can determine. The problem does not happen everytime either. The truck has 64k, I have just replaced the rotors and pads front and rear. The problem persists. I don't have a tuner/scan tool yet but the ABS light is not on. I don't drive my truck very often but it has been occurring the past couple of months (1k miles). As a test I removed the ABS fuse and the brakes work great. NO intrusion from the ABS module. Of course that leaves me with no ABS, the brake warning light and ABS light illuminated. I replaced the fuse and the problem promptly returned. Any ideas???

I have also removed my trailer brake controller.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not quite the same problem but my ABS and BRAKE light come on sometimes for no reason as far as I know. I turn the truck off then on and the lights stay off. This has only happened twice so I dont know but would also like ABS answers
Old 03-26-2005, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wide Open
Please help! I have a random problem with my ABS. When coming to a stop sometimes my ABS will engage. It doesn't matter how hard or soft I apply the brakes, if they are hot or cold, road condition, or pretty much anything else I can determine. The problem does not happen everytime either. The truck has 64k, I have just replaced the rotors and pads front and rear. The problem persists. I don't have a tuner/scan tool yet but the ABS light is not on. I don't drive my truck very often but it has been occurring the past couple of months (1k miles). As a test I removed the ABS fuse and the brakes work great. NO intrusion from the ABS module. Of course that leaves me with no ABS, the brake warning light and ABS light illuminated. I replaced the fuse and the problem promptly returned. Any ideas???

I have also removed my trailer brake controller.

Flush your fluid.Mine did the same thing.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK I flushed the brake fluid completely front and rear. The original fluid was very dark green so I am sure it was past due. I flushed 3 qts of fluid through the system until the fluid flow was clear and replaced both rear calipers. I thought the issue was fixed but on the second day the ABS starting engaging again. The problem seems to be worst if I am manuevering in a parking lot traveling at very low speeds. Any other suggestions before I have to rely on the dealer?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's probably debris on the sensors and reluctor rings. If you can get the sensors out, remove and clean them off, then use compressed air and or brakleen to clean the junk off of the reluctor rings. (check for any chipped teeth while you're in there.