Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

04 silverado 2500 HD 4L80E TCM

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 04 silverado 2500 HD 4L80E TCM

Need help finding a part, or maybe learning more about where its located and what needs done.

I'm still having intermittent issues with this truck. Right now it feels like the transmission is just not right. No power, jerking while shifting from park to forward, and again when shifting from 10mph to faster. Also feels like it has no real acceleration or power. Our driveway is fairly steep and it slows down and bogs a bit coming up. It makes it to the house, almost feels like something holding it back or like it feels when your wheels are spinning but the truck doesn't go anywhere. Then it grabs hold and goes.

Suggestion was to replace or rebuild the TCM first. If that doesn't fix it, then the transmission will be pulled and rebuilt.

Issue I'm having, all parts I'm finding are for either an Allison transmission or a 5 speed automatic transmission. This is a 4 speed and not an Allison.

Thoughts on rebuilding or replacing the TCM? Any thoughts on location of the part inside the truck? I think under the battery but I don't want to start tearing things out of the wrong side. If its cheaper to have it rebuilt, I will pull it and send it off. I just want my truck fixed...
Old 06-04-2024, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

It doesn't have a separate TCM. The transmission and engine a controlled by one computer. The PCM controls both.

To me it doesn't sound like a computer issue. A transmission shop could do a diag on it and tell you if it's internal and that it should be rebuilt.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

of course, just like with everything else in this truck. Its a great truck when it runs right, but seems like every repair that should be simple becomes a monster issue. I begged for the transmission to be pulled and sent off when I could afford it months ago, but now, when I'm laid off, now it gets attention, and now I cant afford it. Grrrrr... I'll be lucky if this costs less than 1k. ugh

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the quick response.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 206 Likes on 165 Posts

TCM is transmission control module or transfer case module?

Is the engine revving (just not going)? You have to take it to a shop that can monitor the input shaft vs output shaft on their scan tool, and manually control the transmission solenoids, to determine if maybe there's some slipping going on or something else.

​​​​​​
Old 06-05-2024, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,271 Likes on 970 Posts

Transmission Control Module
Old 06-05-2024, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by strutaeng
TCM is transmission control module or transfer case module?

Is the engine revving (just not going)? You have to take it to a shop that can monitor the input shaft vs output shaft on their scan tool, and manually control the transmission solenoids, to determine if maybe there's some slipping going on or something else.

​​​​​​
Transmission Control Module

Noted. Im calling around to local shops today. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (06-05-2024)