Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

05-06' Drum Brake Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05-06' Drum Brake Problems?

Has anyone here had any problems with their 05'-06' Silverado rear drum brakes???
I've had a list of problems with them and still have problems!
The rear drums keep warping. I get big time pulsation from the rear drums.
It only takes a week to warp after they are replaced. The dealership says they don't know what to do anymore. The dealership service manager states that I'm not the only one with this problem.
I'm thinking more on the side of the axle flanges are not welded on center.
I've already contacted GM about this problem. They will be contacting me on Friday by phone.
Anyone else have these problems?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont know what to tell you Jim but Baer has the rear disc conversion that you could do

Honey I need to put disc brakes on rear since these keep warping and I cant have unmatching brakes so Im goign to have to do the front to

Hope you get it figured out
Old 12-28-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure if they do have the conversion. I asked the service manager about swapping a set of rear discs off a 05 Avalanche. He told me that I wouldn't be able to due to the axle mounting brakets for the disc brakes not being present on the Silverados. He said I would basically have to swap the complete rear axle assembly onto my truck.
I don't think I will want to do that. The cost effectiveness is just not there.
Don't really know what to do at this time.
By the way, be gental with your engine parts!! Snapping piston rings isn't a good thing.
I think you need to take off a week from the net & alcohol and you may be able to get that engine together without any more delays and mishaps!

Jim
Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

no probs with mine.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah yeah I hear you Im waiting on damn parts anyway. Dont have my head gaskets, heads or cam yet so wouldnt do me any good anyway. On GMFS there was a guy that bought the new Baer kit for the 05 silverado that converts form drum to disc check out Baers website.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use to have vibrations at 4k miles but reached 5k and simply stoped.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I put the 22's on my 06 crewcab and i have just over 800 miles on it and it beats the hell out of me when i hit the brakes! I took it to the dealer today and they tried giving me some bullshit line that its cause i changed my wheel size and my ABS is kickin in. He says i need a tune to reset my tire and wheel size to make my computer read properly so my ABS braking system wont keep kickin on. Im sorry but with 800 miles on a brand new truck, i dont give a **** if i had 28" rims on there, that **** shouldnt be warping like that. And i dont know where the hell the dealerships higher these guys from. They dont know **** about anything and just think they do. I mean, they give you the option to buy the truck with factory 20's. Does that mean the trucks that come with the 20's from the factory have some special tune? Never heard of that ****. I was thinking maybe i needed to have mine balanced again but I guess the brakes is the problem.

Let me know what GM tells you! Id be very interested in hearing their answer to this.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Taylor - Those 22's are way lighter than the GM 20's. Fuggin' dealers **** me off. If you have too many problems, you might want to change out rear ends back to the 99-04? style. They claim to have had too many problems/complaints with the discs, so they switched back to drums. WTF!?!?! Both of my trucks have 135k + miles and still have original rotors and front pads. I've only had to replace the rear pads and I'm an aggressive driver!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I know! I cant tell you how many times i mashed the brakes on my old truck and never warped a rotor. No problems with it what so ever. It had 66,000 on it with the factory pads and all. This truck doesnt even have 800 miles on it and there are already problems. WTF??? I may just go to a BAER upgrade but i really wasnt planning to spend the cash on that part of the truck right yet. I know my rims are way lighter. I picked up a factory 20 and almost broke my back. lol. I could throw mine around without a problem. My centerline 22's weigh damn near the same as my 17" chrome stockies... Well, i guess ill see what GM says about this problem.

BTW, I got the bullet put on today with a dump and it sounds good. Especially since it was a cheap exhaust. lol. I may even stck with this one for awhile.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

There seem to be a lot of issues with the new drum brakes.
I was also told you get axle wrap when you are coming to a stop. You basically get a slight bouncing sensation from the rear as you are coming to a stop.
I do get that occasionally, but that's not my issue. It's the pulsating stops from warped drums.
Guess we will see what GM has to say.

Jim

Quick Reply: 05-06' Drum Brake Problems?