Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

05 Brake Rotors - Warped or Hot Spots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 05 Brake Rotors - Warped or Hot Spots?

I did not see a brake specific place to post and I need to ask now and act fast so I posted here.
I have the 05 Z71 with the new brake setup, larger rotors, dual piston calipers and so on.
I either have a bad hot spot or have warped them. It was really bad this AM after some hard braking but lessened after they cooled but I have been feeling them in the pedal for a while. This AM it felt like a wheel was loose.

Are they warped or hot spotted? When the trucks shakes that bad would you think they can be turned?

OE genuine GM rotors are $146.00 each. The price drops as they go to Delco and so on. I'm thinking of going cheap to keep from distorting exspnsive rotors?

I would like suggestions on replacments.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be covered under warranty. 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper
Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

In General the GM rotors are pretty crappy. I doubt it is a caliper issue. I would get them replaced/cut under warranty until they won't do it anymore, after that go aftermarket and save some money. I have the SSBC rotor/pad set (about $500 for all 4 wheels) and like it alot, much nicer then the stockers but even a set of Brembo blanks will be better and much more durable. Check and make sure your system is functioning properly then get GOOD rotors, not cheap ones. A good set of rotors is much less likely to warp then Brand X.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default I Called Them......

Originally Posted by madcrazy
should be covered under warranty. 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper
And they have to see it before they grant a warranty repair. They are looking for defects. I guess this will come down to ewhat kind of managment they have at this dealership.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 AM
14 Second Truck Club

i had a an 05 CC that did the same thing. they were going to fix it under warranty, but i traded it in before they got the parts in
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Tell Me About It....

Originally Posted by 2k5Squirrel
i had a an 05 CC that did the same thing. they were going to fix it under warranty, but i traded it in before they got the parts in
...... How did that work? Did he say anything in detail about the defect? Did you have to argue?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

05' & up = rear drum brakes! That's the problem! It's not the front rotors. I promise. The rear drums have a bad design flaw that GM is not wanting to recognize at this time. Mine shakes too when the brakes are heated, but it's actually coming from the rear. The front rotors are hardly unlikely to be warped. I've never had any issues with the front rotors, it was "just" taken back to the dealer 12 times or so for rear drum brake warranty repairs!
I'm 99% sure that's the problem. There have been many issues with the rear drum brakes giving problems.

Jim
Old 10-23-2006, 11:03 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
I did not see a brake specific place to post and I need to ask now and act fast so I posted here.
I have the 05 Z71 with the new brake setup, larger rotors, dual piston calipers and so on.
I either have a bad hot spot or have warped them. It was really bad this AM after some hard braking but lessened after they cooled but I have been feeling them in the pedal for a while. This AM it felt like a wheel was loose.

Are they warped or hot spotted? When the trucks shakes that bad would you think they can be turned?

OE genuine GM rotors are $146.00 each. The price drops as they go to Delco and so on. I'm thinking of going cheap to keep from distorting exspnsive rotors?

I would like suggestions on replacments.
where the heck have you been, welcome back!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
05' & up = rear drum brakes! That's the problem! It's not the front rotors. I promise. The rear drums have a bad design flaw that GM is not wanting to recognize at this time. Mine shakes too when the brakes are heated, but it's actually coming from the rear. The front rotors are hardly unlikely to be warped. I've never had any issues with the front rotors, it was "just" taken back to the dealer 12 times or so for rear drum brake warranty repairs!
I'm 99% sure that's the problem. There have been many issues with the rear drum brakes giving problems.

Jim
If you feel the pulsation mainly in your butt, than CHEVY6000VHO is right, the drums are out of round and either need to be machined or replaced. If you feel it more in the steering wheel, it's probably the front rotors. I've had problems with my front rotors rusting and flaking apart twice, but replaced them before a pulsation could be an issue. Since you have rear drum, you can isolate the problem by lightly applying the ebrake while driving and seeing if the pulsation occurs...it's a little tough and dangerous with our ebrake design, since you want to also have the e-brake release engaged while doing so, which is kind of tough with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the release, a foot on the gas, and a foot on the ebrake. (this method is a piece of cake on vehicles where the e-brake is right in between the two front seats and you can just pull it up with your thumb on the release button).

Don't jam the ebrake by any means, or you may damage and overheat the ebrake shoes.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by budhayes3
If you feel the pulsation mainly in your butt, than CHEVY6000VHO is right, the drums are out of round and either need to be machined or replaced. If you feel it more in the steering wheel, it's probably the front rotors. I've had problems with my front rotors rusting and flaking apart twice, but replaced them before a pulsation could be an issue. Since you have rear drum, you can isolate the problem by lightly applying the ebrake while driving and seeing if the pulsation occurs...it's a little tough and dangerous with our ebrake design, since you want to also have the e-brake release engaged while doing so, which is kind of tough with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the release, a foot on the gas, and a foot on the ebrake. (this method is a piece of cake on vehicles where the e-brake is right in between the two front seats and you can just pull it up with your thumb on the release button).

Don't jam the ebrake by any means, or you may damage and overheat the ebrake shoes.
Bud, the rear drums have been machined several times and also replaced twice. None of that seems to help for any longer than 2-3weeks. At least that's how my truck has been.
Also, your e-brake system and the 05' & up e-brake set-up is not the same at all. A rear drum vehicle actually utilizes the brake shoes as the e-brake.
Yours uses a small internal drum thats built into the rear rotors.
You will not over heat your e-brake system on a rear drum vehicle if you apply it while driving. It's pretty much the same as when it applies when you step on the brake pedal.

Jim

Quick Reply: 05 Brake Rotors - Warped or Hot Spots?