Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

05 Brake Rotors - Warped or Hot Spots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Bud, the rear drums have been machined several times and also replaced twice. None of that seems to help for any longer than 2-3weeks. At least that's how my truck has been.
Also, your e-brake system and the 05' & up e-brake set-up is not the same at all. A rear drum vehicle actually utilizes the brake shoes as the e-brake.
Yours uses a small internal drum thats built into the rear rotors.
You will not over heat your e-brake system on a rear drum vehicle if you apply it while driving. It's pretty much the same as when it applies when you step on the brake pedal.

Jim
Ahhh...since this is a re-occuring problem, is it a case of inferior drum design/metalergy, or possibly a bent axle/hub? I understand the differences in my rear disc system as opposed to the rear drum system...but I have seen guys burn up rear (drum) brakes trying to isolate front to rear with the method I mentioned (granted, they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed ) Cars have come back from road tests while performing brake pulsation diagnosis with smoke coming out of the rear wheels, blue shoe to drum surfaces, and brake fluid leaking out of the wheel cylinders from the extreme heat generated by these animals pulling the snot out of the ebrake handle. I wanted to be sure to mention not to put excessive pressure on the rear brake assemblies when attempting to apply them only by isolating them form the front brakes.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got ya. Actually GM and myself checked the axle runout with a run out gauge. I did a lateral and vertical check on the axles. They both are well within tolerances.
The problem is an inferior metal used for the drum and harsh metalic shoes.
I wish there was a fix. GM REP considers it normal. I totally dissagree.
The only fixes would be a better quality drum & shoe combo or pitching out the cash for Baer brakes rear disc conversion kit.

Jim
Old 10-24-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default All Replies Will Be Considered.

Thanks Folks,

I will let everyone know the outcome. I am a single parent now so the scheduling is an issue right now.
I will say that if I drive normally without any panic stops the brakes are smooth as glass. I really feel it is the front but I will do the ebrake thing for a short try.
Just for fun I called Praise and got a price on rotors and pads for the same price as the GM genuine replacement rotors alone.

"Moregrip"

Thanks for remembering me. I have had a rough row to hoe. I came up with Hepatitis "C". Caught it early and went through interferon treatments. Through all this the wife filed for divorce. She paid dearly. What ever you do, don't divorce a spouse with a life threatening illness. The judge and all lawyers get sick with the thought of it.

To All,
Just this one toime I would like to speak of this. If you have replies or quesations email me to keep this thread intact.
As for the Hepatitis "C". (HVC) As you may have noticed, some high profile celebrities have been comming forward about their illness. I advise you listen.
You do not have to use drugs or share needles to get HVC. HVC kills more a year than HIV. A silent slow moving liver killer, by the time you have symptoms you are really in bad shape. Lucky me, through yearly checkups we cought it very early. I'm OK. And by the way, HVC is very hard to pass through sex, unless both partys have open cuts. My X-wife has no sign of it as well a friend of mines wife does not either, and he had it for 24 years without knowing. His liver is in stage 4, about to fall out. I have no liver damage.
If you do not have the funds for a checkup - donate blood. They screen the blood really well and will tell you if there are any problems and it is free.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

therock - your screen name suits you, congrats man.

My 06 with 12000 mi squeaks from the rear brakes once in a while.
Anyone else get squeaking?

I'm not sure about the "pulsating" , I may have felt some, but I am in denial!

Mine has been driven hard a couple times
Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

more power to you, rock.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

My dads friend is a service manager and everything from like 94 up have crappy factory rotors. He said the state troopers around here bring their cars in as soon as they get them and have them install after market rotors and pay for them out of their own pocket. They dont even bother with turning them anymore.

This is my 4th GM since 95 and everyone one of them had warped front rotors. The best solution is to ride out the warranty and then upgrade as mentioned. As far as warranty, they ll turn them until they are too thin and then replace. Shouldnt give you any hassle, if you have bigger wheels and tires I would put on the stockers unless you know the service guy.

As far as the rear drums, so far no problem. Each time they turned the rotors, the bouncing and pulsing went away.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default That Is My Plan.

I'll work the dealer untill I run out as you said.
Then I'll praise dyno. I had them on a 97 and they held up very well in comparison. Any comments good or bad on the Praise products is welcome.

As for the new disc/drum brake system, I love it. You can actually feel the drums kick in.

As for the discs pulsating, I'll admit here, and here only, , it only happens durring aggressive braking sessions caused by competitive jaunts.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therock
I'll work the dealer untill I run out as you said.
Then I'll praise dyno. I had them on a 97 and they held up very well in comparison. Any comments good or bad on the Praise products is welcome.

As for the new disc/drum brake system, I love it. You can actually feel the drums kick in.

As for the discs pulsating, I'll admit here, and here only, , it only happens durring aggressive braking sessions caused by competitive jaunts.
I've been really happy with my Praise setup. I went for the 4 wheel disc option. Significantly (IMO) better braking performance but you don't get the longevity in the pads like oem. I'm on my second set of Praise on my Tahoe.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default How Many Miles Are You Getting...........

Originally Posted by Bish
I've been really happy with my Praise setup. I went for the 4 wheel disc option. Significantly (IMO) better braking performance but you don't get the longevity in the pads like oem. I'm on my second set of Praise on my Tahoe.
out of the praise pads?
And how do you drive them. Do you drive on the aggresive side or going to church on sunday?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The rear pulsating issues seem to be more narrowed down to the trucks that come with the 14 bolt G80 with the factory rear drums and 20" wheels.
Yes, it gets that specific.
Though I've driven three 05' 5.3L CCSB trucks and one 06' CCSB 5.3L truck and all have had signs of pulsations coming from the rear. Though since all of them had 17" wheels and 10 bolt G80 rears, I didn't notice it too much.
Basically it's not anywhere near as bad as mine is. Mine doesn't only pulsate, it will also make a roaring noise after the rear drums are heated up from a bit of moderate highway braking. Though these are only 5-8 seconds worth of braking coming from 80mph down to 55-60 mph or so. After they heat up, the roaring noise will not go away until the drums have cooled down.
Both rear drums, shoes, and brake booster were replaced to try and solve the issue. None of it worked.
I myself have yet to figure out the problem.
I've pulled the drums off and seen no issues with any of the parts. I'm just clueless on this problem. So is GM!
I have just given up on trying to solve this one. I now just deal with the issues and try and ignore it.

Jim

Quick Reply: 05 Brake Rotors - Warped or Hot Spots?