Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

05 RST w/T56 swap clutch wont fully disengage.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300zxls1
I will try that out tomorrow thanks for the info.

Also you said you are running 305/50/20's all around do you have any issues with the 32" tall tires rubbing in the front. Im not to familiar with the Gibbs trucks but are they lowered from the factory or is yours. Im just wondering if with my front end being 1.3" lower from the ground control springs if the 32" tall tires will fit up front with rubbing on hard turns. Right now the stock 275/45/20's are on the front. But I would like to do a 305/50 or 275/55 in the front to match the rear 32" profile. Thanks
Mine is stock height front and 3" lowering shackle in the rear. It sits level. Mine rubs slightly at full lock but could be fixed with ~1" trimming on the inner fender. It doesn't bother me enough to do it. Yours would rub a little worse being lower but probably not much worse. Mine would rub with the stock 275/55 Goodyears though.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Ya I figured with a little triming they should fit. I will be going with the 275/55 in the front I will just trim a little. But I figure I can pull one of the rear rims off and check it out on the front and see how bad it rubs on full lock.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Bled the slave again today a few thing came up, tried all the methods Gibbs spoke of and the clutch is better than it was before. But still barely will go into first from a stop and want to creep forward when started in gear.

Also before I bled it today I had about 1" of freeplay in the top of the pedal throw. Which seemed correct to me, after bleeding it today there is no to maybe a 1/4" of freeplay.

I also checked for any leaks in the line or from the slave and couldnt find any.

Finally I watched the master cyl. resi. very closely while the pedal was depressed. I noticed two things. Almost everytime the pedal was depressed a buble of air would come out of the master and a small amount of fluid appeared to be returned to the resi. I am unsure if there should be any fluid sent back to the resi. when the pedal is depressed or not. Or are the seals on the piston in the master leaking and bypassing some of the fluid back into the resi which is making the clutch to not fully disengage.

I also noticed a good amount of what looked like a gray shredded rubber in the bottom of the resi. I was thinking it could be material from the masters seals?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Drained the trans yesterday and the dexron looked like a nice candy apple high metallic paint. So I will be pulling the trans out and tearing it down to find the problem. It was just rebuilt a month ago so something must have been screwed up.

I also bled the clutch some more and the truck now has one of the best feeling clutch pedals in anything I have ever felt. Im wondering now if its a issue with the pressure or something else besides the clutch master and slave.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 300zxls1
Drained the trans yesterday and the dexron looked like a nice candy apple high metallic paint. So I will be pulling the trans out and tearing it down to find the problem. It was just rebuilt a month ago so something must have been screwed up.

I also bled the clutch some more and the truck now has one of the best feeling clutch pedals in anything I have ever felt. Im wondering now if its a issue with the pressure or something else besides the clutch master and slave.
The bubbling back up in the master cyl res. is normal. It will self bleed some that way, thus the small short strokes will do this. Good luck with the trans issues. Trying to put it in gear with the clutch not releasing could have caused extra wear on the syncros in the trans causing the metallic material.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Ya thats what I was figuring to thats why I want to pull it apart and fix the issues before these is anymore damage.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a 04 regency, 4.8, 5 speed. What 5 speed tranny comes in those trucks stock? Will they take any abuse or is stock form all they're good for?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3 GMC
I just bought a 04 regency, 4.8, 5 speed. What 5 speed tranny comes in those trucks stock? Will they take any abuse or is stock form all they're good for?
It should be the NV-4500 and they tend to hold up decently, albiet resonably slow shifting. They are also available in some C3500's, but in that form have cast iron housings instead of aluminum.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5.3 GMC
Yours has the Nv3500 or the TR3450 (about the same) just depends on when tremec bought out New Venture. They are very stout transmissions but are a little slow on the 2-3 shift.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Pulled the trans tonight and found two big issues. The quick connect for the slave cylinder line had debri in coupler and was leaking. But the big issue was the clutch, never seen a clutch this tore up that still drove. The clutch only chattered a little in first cant believe it went down the road as is. Here are some pics Im sure you guys will think it is as funny as I did. Im amazed the clutch didnt slip at all. Not sure what the clutch disc was but it looks similar to a monster level 2.

haha

Quick Reply: 05 RST w/T56 swap clutch wont fully disengage.