Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

08 Ball Joints - Can they be bad already? 60K

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 08 Ball Joints - Can they be bad already? 60K

Took my 08 VortecMax CC 2wd in for alignment today and was told I needed new lower ball joints before alignment would help. I had noticed a minor wear issue on inside of both front tires, and tires were due for rotate/rebalance.
I just rolled over 60k on the way home. I had the shop show me the wear, and the shaft did move up and down a bit, when he pried on the tire enough to lift the truck.
What do you think, do I need to order some new ball joints and borrow the bj press? Nobody in town has 2 ball joints in stock, so they must not be selling too many.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens, nice of the guy to show you problem.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen one with 20s and 30k on it with wasted uppers and a bad hub bearing. Appeared to be all highway miles which isn't necessarily a good thing in Oklahoma. Non greaseable front components is just stupid IMO. Just ask Ford. They don't come with enough grease and the little bit of grease that is in there gets pushed out of the socket so they just wear. With greaeable joints you can keep a fresh shot or two circulated in every so often and then don't wear as fast. Mine are all original and tight on my 95 with 205k on it and torn boots. I circulate new grease in from time to time to keep the water and debris out but other then that it keeps on going.

Anyway the reason for the lack of availability is anymore GM wants to sell you the whole control arm if you have cast aluminum lower control arms and for the uppers you get the whole arm no matter what. Moog does make replaceable joints as you know but usually you have to order them, again, as you know.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I've seen it happen before too, especially if they weren't greased routinely
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I've seen it happen before too, especially if they weren't greased routinely
Thats just it, on half tons they are not greaseable expect for the outer tie rods. So far the HD's are still fully greaseable.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by oldred95
Thats just it, on half tons they are not greaseable expect for the outer tie rods. So far the HD's are still fully greaseable.
Ahhh, I did not know that...when did that happen, 07?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Yes as you can see by the posts you have already that it is certainly possible as mentioned no grease speed that crap up pretty fast.

What i did want to mention is it was pretty decent of that guy to take the time and show you the problem so you could see it for yourself. I have a personal mechanic that alway's checks things well in advance.

For that reason he has had my vehicles ever since. He takes time to talk and explain everything and point out things that need to be looked after well before i have an issue.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can drill and tap the stock ball joints and put your own zerk fittings in. I did on my wife's Impala when it was new
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Is the truck out of warranty already? If you can't get the stealership to take care of it, I would definitely install a Moog. High quality stuff and will most likely come with a zerk on it.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Is the truck out of warranty already? If you can't get the stealership to take care of it, I would definitely install a Moog. High quality stuff and will most likely come with a zerk on it.
+1, Moog steering and suspension parts are top notch

Quick Reply: 08 Ball Joints - Can they be bad already? 60K