Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

1/2ton 2wd guys with Torsion bar front ends.Adjustment info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2ton 2wd guys with Torsion bar front ends.Adjustment info needed.

My 06' came with the factory 20s on it, and the optional suspension. Needless to say, this truck sits like a Z71. I just ordered a 2in leveling kit for the rear, but if my measurements are correct, my front will be sitting about 3/4in higher than the front after I install it.

I am looking for info regarding adjusting the factory T-bars. Is there a set graduation where "X" turns of the bolt=X ammt of rise/lower? Or should I just turn both sides equally until I have the desired height? Lastly, I know that the OBS trucks with t-bar fronts did not require a re-allignment after you adjusted them, does this hold true with the NBS trucks?
Thanks
W
Old 11-26-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NO F-BDY BS
My 06' came with the factory 20s on it, and the optional suspension. Needless to say, this truck sits like a Z71. I just ordered a 2in leveling kit for the rear, but if my measurements are correct, my front will be sitting about 3/4in higher than the front after I install it.

I am looking for info regarding adjusting the factory T-bars. Is there a set graduation where "X" turns of the bolt=X ammt of rise/lower? Or should I just turn both sides equally until I have the desired height? Lastly, I know that the OBS trucks with t-bar fronts did not require a re-allignment after you adjusted them, does this hold true with the NBS trucks?
Thanks
W
What consists of the 2in leveling kit? Shackles? You'll need axle shims if so.
I don't recommend adjusting ride hidth with t-bar adjustments. The ride will suffer up front. You will get too much sway up front if you come down on them any. You will also need to trim the bump stops and remove the bump stop brackets in the rear.
I just did mine. It has T-bars up front and factory 20's. It a VHO ECSB.
I did Belltech 2" lower spindles up front and McGaughy's 3.5" rear shackles and hangers for the rear. It sits good, but I have too many driveline vibration issues that have not been worked out quite yet.

Jim
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
What consists of the 2in leveling kit? Shackles? You'll need axle shims if so.
I don't recommend adjusting ride hidth with t-bar adjustments. The ride will suffer up front. You will get too much sway up front if you come down on them any. You will also need to trim the bump stops and remove the bump stop brackets in the rear.
I just did mine. It has T-bars up front and factory 20's. It a VHO ECSB.
I did Belltech 2" lower spindles up front and McGaughy's 3.5" rear shackles and hangers for the rear. It sits good, but I have too many driveline vibration issues that have not been worked out quite yet.

Jim
Thats correct, its a Shackle kit. Do you think I would be ok with the minimal ammt of adjustment that I will need? I think 1/2in should clear it up. But as you can tell, I know nothing about suspension setups, so whatever you think.

Im avoiding changing the front end setup at all. I do not want to have to completely replace the front suspension just go get 1/2in lower.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:44 AM
8MC
TECH Apprentice

A 1/2" lower in front will not affect you ride. Now if you wanted to go for 2", that's different. Just jack it up to unload the suspension, and give them a couple of turns. Once you lower it back down, re-measure after the suspension settles, and if you like it you're done. An alignment isn't totally needed with that little of adjustment, but you will be adding a little negative camber.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 AM
12 Second Truck Club

If your truck has t-bars, it should also have rear 2" blocks. You could just pull them and run some standard 2wd u-bolts and should not have to deal with any driveline angle problems. as far as the front goes, if you just want to drop it 1/2" you shouldn't even notice that in your ride or allignment.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Jim
Adjusting the ride hight DOWN with T-bar an 1" or so is ok and yes you will want to take a look at your front bump stops, I did trim mine. My ride actually improved and I have much better handling than before the drop.

An alighnment should be done.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Well, I thought I had this figured out. I kept getting feedback that my truck came with a 2in block in the rear, and I could just remove it and replace the U-Bolts. However, it appears that there is no block, so I guess it back to the aftermarket shackles for me.

here is a pic of my stock rear setup

Old 11-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

On a different note. I contacted a tech at DJM suspension (thats the make of the 2in shackles that I got) and he felt quite strongly that I DID NOT need to shim it because the GM trucks are very "forgiving"

Any truth to this? The last thing I want is driveline issues.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

install the shackles. if you have vibration after installing the shackles then you need shims. if you don't have vibration after installing them, then you don't need shims.