Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

1 blown G80!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:53 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Damn, why did this get moved???
not sure, I was just posting my track results, I thought they went in the performance section with the fastest truck list and all
Old 05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by James B.
I have no bad experiences with Detroit. In fact, I don't know of ANYone who's had a bad experience with one. They do exactly what they're supposed to do. Detroits are very popular with Dana rear ends. They have a full product line for the different Dana housings, like Eaton has a full line of Posi's for the GM AAM housings. They don't exactly compare to each other though. It's a locker vs. limited-slip issue. Each has benefits and each has drawbacks. The Eaton is built for the street. Detroit is built for off-road.

Power I'm putting down? I don't really know. Not that much really. It's still a stock bottom-end 2-bolt L31. It's funny how much a GM stock shortblock puts up with.

I drive my truck like I'm trying to get a ticket. I'm not rude (cutting people off, lane changer, etc.) but I like to change speeds rapidly. I also like pulling ahead of traffic from stoplights, people close in the rearview mirror bother me a little bit.

There's two things I cannot make last in my truck - tires and catalytic converters. Hopefully an upcoming manifold swap and tuning with solve the latter problem.
honestly, I'm torn 3 ways, detriot locker for all out strength, Eaton for quietness, and torsen for having all hard parts.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moregrip
honestly, I'm torn 3 ways, detriot locker for all out strength, Eaton for quietness, and torsen for having all hard parts.
I would rule out the torsen style, just from the fact they are fairly new to the high power/ heavy weight market. The Eaton is rebuildable which is cool, it is quiet and transperant. The Detroit is stronger, but it can be noisy. Not just in turns, but you can also get some coast to drive noise. I usually dont hear people with larger rears complain too much about the noise really though.
The Eaton clutches last a good while as long as you dont do stuff like hard burn outs around corners or only get one tire in the water box.
The torque proportioning diffs (true trac, torsen, etc) are the best handling diffs since they only really work when there is input torque applied. But the internal parts have some fine teeth, which would make me question there track durability. People are using them now in 9" fords, etc, and I havent heard any negative feedback, but the Detroit Locker is well proven. The true-trac was originally marketed as the best limited slip for the front of a 4x4, not so much for drag usage.
My opinion would be Detroit Locker, Eaton, then True-trac. If you are worried about the noise, then get the Eaton. If you are more worried about breaking another diff, get the Locker.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I would rule out the torsen style, just from the fact they are fairly new to the high power/ heavy weight market. The Eaton is rebuildable which is cool, it is quiet and transperant. The Detroit is stronger, but it can be noisy. Not just in turns, but you can also get some coast to drive noise. I usually dont hear people with larger rears complain too much about the noise really though.
The Eaton clutches last a good while as long as you dont do stuff like hard burn outs around corners or only get one tire in the water box.
The torque proportioning diffs (true trac, torsen, etc) are the best handling diffs since they only really work when there is input torque applied. But the internal parts have some fine teeth, which would make me question there track durability. People are using them now in 9" fords, etc, and I havent heard any negative feedback, but the Detroit Locker is well proven. The true-trac was originally marketed as the best limited slip for the front of a 4x4, not so much for drag usage.
My opinion would be Detroit Locker, Eaton, then True-trac. If you are worried about the noise, then get the Eaton. If you are more worried about breaking another diff, get the Locker.
so its really between the Eaton and the Detoit Locker......
Old 05-15-2005, 10:46 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by mzoomora
what kind of noise is typical generated from the detroit locker with a constant load, like cruise control at 70 mph on the highway? or is all the noise during transitional periods?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they aren't bad. you commonly only hear the noise on turns. they aren't half as bad as the used to be. the last one i installed was barely noticable.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
Nope, I have not been in a long time. Last time I was there was before the heads, valvetrain, exhaust, trans, etc... lots of stuff. "I'll be back..." lol
Hey James, why don't you join me and grippy in Fontana on June 17th? You could make a half-dozen runs and be back home in time for dinner.

That means you got 5 weeks to get your rear together, grip-man...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Hey James, why don't you join me and grippy in Fontana on June 17th? You could make a half-dozen runs and be back home in time for dinner.

That means you got 5 weeks to get your rear together, grip-man...
more than the rearend, but I will be there
Old 05-15-2005, 11:31 PM
what a rush!

btw, I just got the bike(momo) off the charger and took her for a test ride......................................it's nice to know I still own something faster than Parish's truck
Old 05-15-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
more than the rearend, but I will be there
Me two, I'd like to get the shift kit, upgraded H/E, tranny cooler, wideband, gauges, exhaust, etc. in before then. Time to get busy.

I'm just happy to have fixed the vibration issue!!!

Quick Reply: 1 blown G80!!