Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

14 bolt or 9"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

You are all Over anylizing this.

A Ford 9 inch, in racing forum, uses a captured cartridge style bearing thats pressed on to the axle shaft and held to the housing with a plate.

A 10 bolt, 14 bolt use a c clip to retain the axle in the housing.

The problem is that the e-brake assembly from the GM c-clip plate forum will not simple bolt in place over the retainer plate for the captured bearing. Also The axle stand out would be well over 3 inches which would be way to much offset, especially for a heavy truck...

It would be much easier to use an off the shelf brake system.

From a cost stand point a 9 inch would be more expensive to put together from scratch then a 14 bolt.

with a 9 inch you will need a custom 3rd memeber assembly, custom brakes, custom axles.

for a 14 bolt you can use factory axles, gears and even a factory locker keeping the price way down...

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 02-17-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** yeah...forgot the captured bearings in the 9in.

I would cryo treat the gears in my 10B, do a full rebuild, swap in a nice posi unit and get a Moser pan with the bearing pre-load bolts. Maybe a set of hardned axles and be done with it. Or just leave the 10B you have till it grenades on you than swap in what you want. A 9in with a 5 link will help you hook up.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Jordan927
**** yeah...forgot the captured bearings in the 9in.

I would cryo treat the gears in my 10B, do a full rebuild, swap in a nice posi unit and get a Moser pan with the bearing pre-load bolts. Maybe a set of hardned axles and be done with it. Or just leave the 10B you have till it grenades on you than swap in what you want. A 9in with a 5 link will help you hook up.
Have you seen EVILGMC's Thread???

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=473409

Thats what happens when you use forced induction and Hook up on Slicks

BTW, He had a moser cover and there was no damage to the factory axles... There is only so much you can do to strengthen a 10 Bolt. At some point, you reach the point of no return on how much abuse it will take.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, but 600hp likely wont do that....

Than there's always those axles that just give out on you. I've seen a 9" blow up in a stock 5.0L mustang...3K launch on slicks.
I have also seen a street driven truck (occasionally raced) with 1000+ WHP and blown still driving on the stock 10B.

I would see how much you can get from the stocker man...whats the worst that can happen...a blown diff...than you can put in your new built 9" or 14B or what have you. Saves you the cash and trouble of swapping in something you don't need...I'd still pop the Moser cover on though.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Jordan927
Yeah, but 600hp likely wont do that....
Well It did and The 600 Was at the wheels Before the meth....

As far as 10 bolt's Go. Just change the oil and run it till it blows... Then build something else.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the type of answers I like. Thank you for the info
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Well It did and The 600 Was at the wheels Before the meth....

As far as 10 bolt's Go. Just change the oil and run it till it blows... Then build something else.
Yeah, 600WHP and slicks with a nice high launch rpm...I can see that happening. But I have seen them hold up to worse....and a lot less too for that matter.

Yeah I agree...run the 10B till it blows up....It may never...It may pop first run.

Start sourcing and fabbing your 9" up, seeing as how you already have one, for a 5 link, than when its done, hopefully just before the 10B blows up you can swap that in...That would make a nice racing rear suspension and a really nice handling street truck.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you have to get custom axles and custom diff forthe high spline ford 9"? I wouldnt say run the 10b till it pops because if it pops on a good launch you could over rev or take out a trans. I've broke mine twice but I'm heavy i had a Detroit locker so it didn't completely unload the drive train. Instead it just lit up the right tire. I've always heard that th 9" is good in cars but not so good in a heavy truck. I know it's not the same thing but consider 4wd guys never use a ford 9 off road. Maybe I'm partial cause I'm going to run a 14b in mine. I talk to a shop down here in jax, owner has a camaro with a ford nine. He was talking about goon bigger cause he broke the carrier in it like 3 times. I just think that the ford 9 is over rated with what else is out there these days. It was just used so long that people think ford 9 when they think big power.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if you have the wheels that you want to run. If not instead of shorting the axle just get the offset you need to set the tires where you want. Bolt in a 2500 non hd 14bolt and put the 6 lug axles since youll want after market ones anyway and use the bolt in right ups on using your stock 10b brakes. 14b's usually go cheap cause they are plentiful in leaf sprung form.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
Don't you have to get custom axles and custom diff forthe high spline ford 9"? I wouldnt say run the 10b till it pops because if it pops on a good launch you could over rev or take out a trans. I've broke mine twice but I'm heavy i had a Detroit locker so it didn't completely unload the drive train. Instead it just lit up the right tire. I've always heard that th 9" is good in cars but not so good in a heavy truck. I know it's not the same thing but consider 4wd guys never use a ford 9 off road. Maybe I'm partial cause I'm going to run a 14b in mine. I talk to a shop down here in jax, owner has a camaro with a ford nine. He was talking about goon bigger cause he broke the carrier in it like 3 times. I just think that the ford 9 is over rated with what else is out there these days. It was just used so long that people think ford 9 when they think big power.
a big thing about not running them offroad is because of the pinion being lower then most others. i personally think its one of the best rears out there. heavy hitter in all forms of racing, capable of 40 spline and floating axles. if you run cheap or stock carriers yes you will spit the pinion out of them. prob the most common breaking point.

Quick Reply: 14 bolt or 9"?