Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

14 Bolt Axn question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 Bolt Axn question

First of all, I always appreciate and put into consideration all replies and discussions in these respectful forums. We all inquire and need new knowledge and the amount of it that I have gained in these forums is all thanks to you guys.
I'm in the process of swapping out the 10 Bolt for 14 Bolt 9.5 AXN from a 2005-2007 truck into my 04 RCSB. My truck has rear disc brakes and the 14 bolt I have sitting at the shop has drums in the rear. I have read through the 14 bolt threads but I couldn't find my answer. I know I need a conversion u joint, straps and bolts (correct me in case I need anything else) but my question is:
Can I basically remove the drums and slip on my discs or would I have to go drums to get it to work? and what is the right way to do it

Thanks and all input is appreciated.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

The Disc brake will bolt right up. The brake offset is the same between drums and disc. You will probably want to use the brake lines from the disc. The Brake lines will be a little different but you should be able to swap them with minor tweaking.

There are several threads floating around but there a pain to find. I put the most notable ones here with some documentation.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...thread-467473/

I have some of the part numbers on here as well. As always, check with your dealer before ordering. Alot of Differential shops don't know the difference between the AXN Hybrid 9.5 and a standard 9.5 from other years.
If you need the last 8 of VIN to get part numbers. Use 61272087 it was a 2WD 06 SS that was totaled. Looked to be way beyond repair so it shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2/#post4148858
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I have already found this thread and swept through it. It seems I have all the required parts, right?
Conversion ujoint 3r to 1350
1350 straps and bolts
Do I need new u bolts because the tech at DennysDriveshafts said the 14 bolt doesn't use u bolts. Also, what about the spring perches?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by sowaidi
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I have already found this thread and swept through it. It seems I have all the required parts, right?
Conversion ujoint 3r to 1350
1350 straps and bolts
Do I need new u bolts because the tech at DennysDriveshafts said the 14 bolt doesn't use u bolts. Also, what about the spring perches?

Thanks
You would have to identify the joint on your drive shaft first. I believe there was 2 different types used depending on the shaft.

The 9.5 uses a strap and 2 bolts on each side of the joint, not a U bolt. If your bolting it in a 99-07 classic truck GMT 800 platform its a bolt in deal, You will need to change the perches.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You would have to identify the joint on your drive shaft first. I believe there was 2 different types used depending on the shaft.

The 9.5 uses a strap and 2 bolts on each side of the joint, not a U bolt. If your bolting it in a 99-07 classic truck GMT 800 platform its a bolt in deal, You will need to change the perches.
So I can use the perches that came on the 14b? would i need new u-bolts for the springs or can i reuse the 10b u bolts? and what about the shock holders.
I am sorry for asking this many questions but I want to gather the parts first since I have to order them and cannot find anything locally and wouldn't want it to take very long.
So far, I have identified my driveshaft yolk to be 3R and have the conversion ujoint, bolts and straps but nothing else.

Thanks a lot for your help brother
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by sowaidi
So I can use the perches that came on the 14b? would i need new u-bolts for the springs or can i reuse the 10b u bolts? and what about the shock holders.
I am sorry for asking this many questions but I want to gather the parts first since I have to order them and cannot find anything locally and wouldn't want it to take very long.
So far, I have identified my driveshaft yolk to be 3R and have the conversion ujoint, bolts and straps but nothing else.

Thanks a lot for your help brother
The shock brackets are the same as the original 10 bolt. The AXN uses smaller tubes like the 10 bolt so I believe you can re use the stock U bolts.

The AXN is a hybrid axle assemble using a special casting for the 9.5 center section with 10bolt axle bearings and seals. I believe they just use 10 bolt axle tubes and swedge them out to fit the special casting. The axle shafts are special to this application.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the difference between the older 9.5" axles and the AXN axles? I plan to regear my truck and need to know what to look for.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

I just did this swap about 2 months ago. The worst part was pulling the axels out to swap the drums for discs. Me and a buddy had it all done in about 2-2 1/2 hours. Get new u-bolts, they are almost always rusted enough to not re-use plus the stretch when tightened. It's quite impressive how much beefier it is on the inside and the axles themselves are half again bigger.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
What's the difference between the older 9.5" axles and the AXN axles? I plan to regear my truck and need to know what to look for.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...thread-467473/

If your referring to the Axle Shafts them self's, the bearing journal diameter of the shaft is smaller.

If your referring to the housing, the tubing diameter and thickness are different as well as the axle bearings and seals. The spring perches and the shock mount centers are also different.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Brent1976
Are the u bolts of the same size of the 10b or did you get another size?
Thanks everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: 14 Bolt Axn question