Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

14 Bolt Swap Complete - Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This might help decipher some stuff too....

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  63.1 KB
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
This might help decipher some stuff too....
What are trying to show us???
Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Just a list of configurations that are out there, with RPO codes and gear ratios. If somebody is looking at a parts truck somewhere, this might be a little cheat sheet of info.

Maybe I should have checked with you before posting it up???
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Just a list of configurations that are out there, with RPO codes and gear ratios. If somebody is looking at a parts truck somewhere, this might be a little cheat sheet of info.

Maybe I should have checked with you before posting it up???
No your just trying to help. And FWIW I am not trying to be rude either. In order to understand what is on that list you have to know what they came in.

In 2005 They had a package called the Vortech High Output option. This was basically an SS with out the body kit in 2WD only. 2005 was also the first year you could get an SS in 2wd as an option.

In 2006 Chevy Droped the AWD option from the SS and renamed the Vortec High Output to the "Vortec MAX"

When they did this they opened the Vortec Max options to the Crew Cab and added the 4x4 to the option list.
By going with the 4x4 option this allowed the option of 4:10 ratio.

So in other wards

All 2005- up 2WD SSS, Vortech High Output, 2WD Vortec Max came with 3:73

All 2006 Vortec MAX 4x4 should have 4:10. This package was avalible in extended cabs and crew cabs.

The RPO code AXN axle was only avalible with 6 lugs. It uses the same smaller 10 bolt axle bearings and seals.

It was carried over to the GMT900 platforum but the shock mounting brackets changed. I am not sure what if any thing else changed in regards to the housing.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

And the funny part is, through all the years of the GMT800 1999-2007 trucks, it never really mattered what they called the package. The RPO codes were always the same. Chances are, if you ask some random person from the classifieds that's parting out their kids' wrecked truck, that was debadged, they have no idea if it's a "Vortec High Output", or some other enthusiast nomenclature that WE have learned about. Hell, I don't even know half of those option package names you listed, but the RPO codes are always the same.

I posted that list in 2 different threads pertaining to the 9.5" AXN axle just to add info for those members who might find the threads while performing a search. While it's likely that nobody on this forum knows more about this subject than you do, sometimes you over-complicate things to a point. You post so much information at times, that MY eyes go blurry trying to absorb it all...... Or maybe that's the alcohol.... IDK. Sometimes a simple list is just easier to understand.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting schooled from both the simple and the not so simple lists of information. Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02silverado60
the 14 bolt i got for my truck was out of a 08 silverado vortec max, at first i was worried because the shock mounts are different on the 07+ trucks, but theres enough play in the shock bushings to bolt them up, and also it already had disc brakes on it but since i only have 16inch wheels they wouldnt clear so thats why i transferred my original brake setup over, so if you have 17inch wheels or larger no need to remove the o.e. brakes....
I'll start looking for a 14 bolt to install next fall.. assuming the replacement gears in my 10 bolt holds up for a few months.

If I can find a 4:10 14 bolt I assume they are all positraction... right?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by JimS
I'll start looking for a 14 bolt to install next fall.. assuming the replacement gears in my 10 bolt holds up for a few months.

If I can find a 4:10 14 bolt I assume they are all positraction... right?
No They came with a G80 wich is a mechanical locker. they are not as bad as the 10 bolt version but if they are abbused they can break.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

And the funny part is, through all the years of the GMT800 1999-2007 trucks, it never really mattered what they called the package. The RPO codes were always the same. Chances are, if you ask some random person from the classifieds that's parting out their kids' wrecked truck, that was debadged, they have no idea if it's a "Vortec High Output", or some other enthusiast nomenclature that WE have learned about. Hell, I don't even know half of those option package names you listed, but the RPO codes are always the same.

I posted that list in 2 different threads pertaining to the 9.5" AXN axle just to add info for those members who might find the threads while performing a search. While it's likely that nobody on this forum knows more about this subject than you do, sometimes you over-complicate things to a point. You post so much information at times, that MY eyes go blurry trying to absorb it all...... Or maybe that's the alcohol.... IDK. Sometimes a simple list is just easier to understand.
Yes there is alot of info and its hard to put it out in away that everyone will understand.

Again not to be rude but your Screen shot shows 2006. I am only trying to help every one learn and better understand what they came under and were to look for them.

You also need to know were to look.

Esspecially since there are alot of mis- informed people out there includeing the wrecking yards. They might try and pass of a 10 bolt as a 14 bolt. It does not account for Vehical that was taken in for repair and may have had the entire rear end swaped. We also know that the Glove box door is just another piece that un-bolts from the interior. So it is possible that the sticker was damaged from people putting stuff in the glove box or replaced by an interior swap.

The same info Shown for a 2006 does not apply to 2005. In 2005 you could only get 3.73 under an extended cab 2WD.

The only way you could get the AXN 14 bolt Axle from the factory in the 1500 was to get a package with the LQ9 engine. Just because one of these 1500 series trucks came equiped with an LQ9 does not mean it had the AXN option. An example would be an AWD SS or DENALI truck.

Also as hard as it is to find an AXN 14 bolt, 4.10's are even harder to find in the Silverado line up unless it was 4x4

Your best bet is to get a vin and call a dealer and see if came equipped that way from the factory. I have seen alot of individuals try to pass off stuff for sale that is not correct.

If you get an AXN 14 bolt with 3.73 and you want to get nice used 4.10's look at offroad places that do gear swaps or guys parting out H2 hummer Stuff. Also I understand the TBSS came with 4.10's and an Eaton Positraction from the factory.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
No They came with a G80 wich is a mechanical locker. they are not as bad as the 10 bolt version but if they are abbused they can break.
Sounds like I'd want to get the 14 bolt, then add the gears and differential (probably Tru Track) of my choice.

Quick Reply: 14 Bolt Swap Complete - Pics Inside