Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

1994 z71 4x4 4l60e replace with 1996 4x4 suburban 4l60e probs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 z71 4x4 4l60e replace with 1996 4x4 suburban 4l60e probs

ok i took the trans out of my 1994 z71 4l60e 4x4 m30 style (solid piece case transmission because the transmission housing was cracked at the adapter and leaking trans fluid alot)...... for a 1996 4x4 suburban 4l60e m30 style (solid piece case transmission).....
i put the torque converter out of the 1994 4l60e into the 1996 4l60e transmission
everything bolted up exact.....
the wiring harness in the 1996 4l60e transmission wiring has a extra connector end on the wiring harness ..so i swapped the electrical harness out of the 1994 transmission to the 1996 trans...and removed the extra solenoid from the 1996 trans...everything looked good and fit with no probs .. im having issues with the 1996 4l60e trans shifting properly........

so im thinking i need to swap the complete valve body form the 1994 trans to the 1996 trans to solve the shifting issue.....i(t goes into reverse and all foward gears except overdrive right now.)

is the casting on the transmissions the same at the valve body location of the transmissions?

will the valve body from the 1994 4l60e fit on the 1996 4l60e trans?

i want to swap the valve body from the 1994 trans to the 1996 trans can this be done? will ti fit or is the case casting different were the valve body fits to the trans?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue here is that the pump, valve body, internal harness, solenoids and the separator plate are different between these two models. Vince
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Question ?

Originally Posted by Vince B
The issue here is that the pump, valve body, internal harness, solenoids and the separator plate are different between these two models. Vince
ok can i strip the 1996 case to a bare case and rebuild the bare case ...using all the components out of the 1994 trans... pump, valve body, soleniods, wire harness ect?

or should i just get a rebuildable 1994 m30 bare case and build it .........and bite the bullet on the 1996 money spent?

hey vince if there was a 'thanks" button i would have used it....btw i know you are loaded with info on theses type trans..have seen you on othere sites to .. AGAIN THANX FOR THE KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE TO PASS ON ON THIS SUBJECT...IT HAS REALLY BEEN BUGGIN ME...
i have googled and googled and googled looking for answers to the questions i have.... and couldnt find any......you have shed more light on the answers to my questions..... than even google has......again thanx...

Last edited by BLOWNONE; 02-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Thumbs up ok made the decision

ok made the decision...ordered a 1994 4l60e m30 bare case cleaned and ready to build off of ebay for 150 dollars shipped. guess im gonna take a on the 1996 trans i bought... i thought for sure i could figure out what to do to use it....... now gonna take the original one that has the rear case cracked that came out of the truck and use the guts to do a rebuild.....i pull a boat that weighs approx 3000 pounds alot with the truck..... the engine has approx 300 hp output from the 5.7 we rebuilt...i didn't want to go to much higher on the hp because im on the road a lot pulling the boat......
what would be suggested to do to the trans when i build it to upgrade for pulling the boat.....just a mild upgrade for mileage and towing....if anyone here sells the stuff at a reasonable price..i'm in the market for a rebuild kit and what is needed for upgrades for the chevy z71 4x4 1994 4l60e m30 solid case trans rebuild....

Last edited by BLOWNONE; 02-27-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWNONE
ok can i strip the 1996 case to a bare case and rebuild the bare case ...using all the components out of the 1994 trans... pump, valve body, soleniods, wire harness ect?...
Yes that would be fine.

hey vince if there was a 'thanks" button i would have used it....btw i know you are loaded with info on theses type trans..have seen you on othere sites to .. AGAIN THANX FOR THE KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE TO PASS ON ON THIS SUBJECT...IT HAS REALLY BEEN BUGGIN ME...
i have googled and googled and googled looking for answers to the questions i have.... and couldnt find any......you have shed more light on the answers to my questions..... than even google has......again thanx...
Thanks this comment just put a smile on my face. I help when and where I can when I have the time. Your welcome! I would suggest selling the 96 unit to help re-coop some of the money you have spent here. These 4x4 cases are getting harder to come by and you got a good deal on the one for $150. The one thing I would make sure to check is that your front drive shaft moves freely at its slip joint. This is usually what takes these out so make sure its good. I did return your pm and answered some of your questions on this built. HTH Vince
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up

Yes that would be fine.

Thanks this comment just put a smile on my face. I help when and where I can when I have the time. Your welcome! I would suggest selling the 96 unit to help re-coop some of the money you have spent here. These 4x4 cases are getting harder to come by and you got a good deal on the one for $150. The one thing I would make sure to check is that your front drive shaft moves freely at its slip joint. This is usually what takes these out so make sure its good. I did return your pm and answered some of your questions on this built. HTH Vince

AGAIN THANX... i had a u-joint go out on the front drive shaft around 6 months ago so i replaced both of them...and it does slip back and forth ok... i noticed it is very sloppy when you push up and down on it.... it seems very loose with lots of wobble....think i will look into a new front drive shaft also... now that i think about it that is about the time it stared to leak.....now im just sittin here twidling my thumbs waiting on the case to arrive and gonna start ordering the other parts for the rebuild.....
Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

How much do you want for the 96 trans?

Dennis
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 AM

Default pm sent

Originally Posted by protracracing
How much do you want for the 96 trans?

Dennis
pm sent to you.......
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 AM

AGAIN THANX... i had a u-joint go out on the front drive shaft around 6 months ago so i replaced both of them...and it does slip back and forth ok... i noticed it is very sloppy when you push up and down on it.... it seems very loose with lots of wobble....think i will look into a new front drive shaft also... now that i think about it that is about the time it stared to leak.....now im just sittin here twidling my thumbs waiting on the case to arrive and gonna start ordering the other parts for the rebuild.....
With the wobble I would be concerned that it might bind if it is a location to do so while its flexing. Hard to tell what happened when in your case but I would makes sure to cover your basis so this does not happen to you again shortly after all of this. Vince
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up done it

With the wobble I would be concerned that it might bind if it is a location to do so while its flexing. Hard to tell what happened when in your case but I would makes sure to cover your basis so this does not happen to you again shortly after all of this. Vince
i went and ordered a new front drive shaft...them babies are lined with gold or platinum...they are not cheap......lmao...