Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2/4 or 3/4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2/4 or 3/4?

i can put a 2/4 drop on my truck for about $380 with spindles, shackles and hangers or i can do a 3/4 for about $300 with springs, shackles and hangers, what do you guys think i should do? with either kit i would have to buy shocks but with the 3/4 i would have to get an alignment, is there anything else i would have to worry about? thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd do the 3/4 myself, and you really don't HAVE to do an alignment immediately after, it's recommended that you do, put you can drive it for a while. if you do the spindles you can run stock front shocks, and I think you can run stock rears with the shackles and hangers.

if yer talking about dropping the 02 with spindles, you have to flip yer balljoints, but i can't remember if it was upper or lower, it's been forever since i've done a newer truck. springs would be easiest.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

im talking about the 02, im thinking i will go with the springs, but im not sure if the extra inch for $80 less is worth the shocks and alignment. i do think i will be happier with it though. does anybody have pictures of the difference? i made a post a while ago for pictures of 2/4 drops. i would like to see a 3/4 drop though. thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do any suspension work you have to get it aligned. If you go spindles or springs it doesn't matter. If you do spindles your ride will stay the same because you aren't changing the spring rates. If you get new springs keep in mind it will ride worse. Save yourself the trouble, if you want 3-4 get spindles springs shackles and hangers. If you want 2-3 get spindles and shackles. Then you won't have any trouble getting it aligned to spec and it will ride really well. Also get a good drop shock and life with a lowered truck will be alot nicer.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

he knows what he's talking about
Old 08-24-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

i know with the springs the ride will be stiffer, i wouldnt mind a little firmer ride though. what is a good drop shock for these trucks?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's for the 2002 here's what I'd recommend:

Don't buy a complete kit. It's almost always more expensive unless you get the basic belltech kit with their shitty shocks.

For the front:
Good-2" drop springs, you can get them in 1-4" drop but 2-3 would be best
Best- Get some DJM 2" control arms, that's what I run and I love them.
Best-2" drop spindles. Won't change a thing

For the rear:
Good-Get some hangers and shackles. Won't change the ride too much, but the hangers are a bitch to install.
Best-Flip kit with some 1.5" lift shackles. This will put you at 4.5" in the rear which would sit perfect with a 2" drop in the front.

Shocks-Doetsch Tech. They're only $55 a shock compared to other and they ride great.

Stay away from belltech nitro drops. Toxics aren't very good but they're better(IMO than the nitro drops). Edelbrocks are great, but you pay $75 a shock for them.

If it were me I would get:

2" spindles, 6" flip kit with a 1.5" lift shackle, and doetsch tech shocks.

That way you can get a kit that will ride great and won't kill your wallet like if you went with control arms,leaf springs, and edelbrock shocks(about $1000 in ****).

Just my .02
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ride on 3/4 with IAS shocks. rides better then it ever did from factory. its firm when needed and soft when cruising. i have cut v6 coils up fron and DJM kit for rear
Old 08-24-2007, 03:48 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine that the V6 spring would have a different spring rate because of the weight it was designed for. So I am sure the front it rides really soft. I would think though that it would ride bouncy when going over uneven pavement.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I would imagine that the V6 spring would have a different spring rate because of the weight it was designed for. So I am sure the front it rides really soft. I would think though that it would ride bouncy when going over uneven pavement.
well to tell you the truth. when you cut springs you chance the rate of them. so a softer spring becomes stiffer. ive had my truck like this for 3yrs. i have no complaints. i can handle with the best of them for being a truck. so your theory is off alteast for this truck

Quick Reply: 2/4 or 3/4?