Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2/4 drop, what am I missing????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2/4 drop, what am I missing????

ima be buying the parts for a 2/4 drop pretty soon and I need to know wat all do I need? I'm gunna buy leaf springs for the rear and control arms for the front, is this all I need for the drop or am I missing something? I know I also need shocks too. Also what is a good dependable brand to go with for the leaf springs, shocks, and the front control arms, and watever else I'm missing here what's a good brand for the parts I'm missing? Also will the leafs and front control arms still give me a pretty good ride? thx
Old 01-10-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

I have heard good things about DJM and McGaughy's and Bell tech is always good as well.

I believe all of these companies have a 2/4 drop KIT for our trucks that is all inclusive, everything you need to do the install in your driveway.

Leafs in the back will give you the best ride and are easier to install. The only downside compared to a shakle/hanger drop is cost.

For the front you have many options.
Control arms OR spindles retain stock springs so the ride quality will not change much, be careful on the spindles though, on some you can only use with 17"+ wheels

lowering springs are also an option for the front but with stiffer springs the ride quality is compromised.

I think you will be fine with New leafs in the back and new LCA's up front.
Good luck! can't wait to see it!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thx, but in the front I just need lower control arms and that's it?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blaze5509

Leafs in the back will give you the best ride and are easier to install. The only downside compared to a shakle/hanger drop is cost.

For the front you have many options.
Control arms OR spindles retain stock springs so the ride quality will not change much, be careful on the spindles though, on some you can only use with 17"+ wheels

lowering springs are also an option for the front but with stiffer springs the ride quality is compromised.

I think you will be fine with New leafs in the back and new LCA's up front.
Good luck! can't wait to see it!
That is not true. Leaf springs will allow handling to improve but your ride quality will suffer and it will not ride as nice as stock. Also, they don't make 2" drop control arms(only 4" drop) so your best bet is spindles since those don't change the steering geometry. If you decide to do springs, your ride will also suffer a little there as well. SO if I were you I would try and do a flip kit in the rear with djm's 1.5" lift shackles(will but you at 4.5" drop) and 2" spindles in the front. This would sit almost perfectly level and would look very good in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody else have anything to add to this? still kinda confused a little, and by the way, they do sell lowering control arms for a 2/4 drop, they DJM has em for like 300 bucks on stylingconcepts.com
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just going to get new coils in the front, some 2" drop shackles in the back to keep my stance and clean the wheel well line up, and maybe some Bilstein or Belltech shocks, those are good brands.

I'm also getting a Hellwig rear swaybar as well, i'm hoping to spend around $400 with installation.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you do, get a kit. You don't want all your parts from different vendors. DJM has the CalMax 2/4 drop(LCA's w/hangers and shackles), Hotchkis has a 2/4 kit (springs and springs), McGaughys uses spindles up front. Even Eibach has several combinations you can put together.

As stated, when using springs as your lowering mechanism, your ride quality will suffer more than using other components w/stiffer shocks.

If you're looking to add a stabilizer bar, as well. . . you might be best off going with the Hotchkis TVS kit.

Also understand: ride quality is very subjective and is relative to the person's *** in the seat. What is rough to one person can be quite soothing to another.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i wanted to go with springs in the rear and control arms in the front, but i have yet to find a kit that has this combo, and in the front, do i just need lower control arms and thats it? or do i need something else for the front? or is it just leaf springs for rear and lowering control arms for the front? if anybody knows of a place that sells a kit with leafs and with control arms please show me a link or somethin, thx
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know of a kit in that combination either. But, if that is what you want to do, then you will have to mix and match. My preference would be the DJM LCA's w/Hotchkis 4" drop leaf springs. Just get some shocks for it.

Quick Reply: 2/4 drop, what am I missing????