Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2 New sets of gears = Annoying!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of cheap 4.11's that wined. I drove to work and back 47 miles 1 way for about a week before I started being hard on my Motives.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4.56's were used, the 4.88's are brand spankin new. I may order another new set from moser and have them do their lightening service if i cant get them to quiet down some. After all the christmas stuff this weekend im goin to tear it all back apart, hell the oils drained and cover is off already.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No breakin here. Left the shop sideways.. I do got a little whine, but very hard to hear.. It's only when I let off.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
The House is Rockin'

i installed a set of 4:56 summit gears, and the whine is so slight its barely noticeable. i was really surprised for the price i paid.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

just installed a set of MOTIVE 410's in my 14 bolt sunday and no whine here either! my backlash is .005, they do tend to loosen up a slight touch from what ive seen.. i do have a super small whine slowing down also but all the nnbs trucks do if you listen close.. its not the gears its the tranny im pretty sure, did it before my gears so idk lol....
Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

oil was royal purple 75-90 i think

i hope they just loosened up a touch and i can reset the backlash and be on the way.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Launching!

the richmonds in my firehawk whined from day 1. i was told its just how they are, cut for durability not for NVH like the factory gears. never bothered me though my tolerance for noise is pretty high when it's performance associated
Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Did you use a pinion shim other then the stock pinion shim? From what I've found and what they told us at school is the pinion shim makes up for the differences in machining of the axle housing to help locate the pinion correctly. For the most part the ring and pinions are made pretty true. That being said I've gone from 3.08s to 3.73s in my 95 and played around with the pinion shim for way too long before I threw the stocker in there and wouldn't you know it was perfect. I've also replaced a handful of worn out ring and pinions with stock parts and the stock pinion shim has always been ideal in that instance too. For what its worth I bought my 3.73s used, had just under 100k miles on them and came out of a lifted truck. Gears looked great and for 55 shipped I couldn't go wrong. Threw them in, set them up a little tight, something like .004-.005 backlash but they worked perfect. Dead silent, smooth, perfect.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

pinion was shimed to with whatever it took to get to the 2.513, i dont remmeber if it was stock or not, but i dont think it was and looking at the wear pattern its too deep meaning i need to shim out some more. Im goin to recheck everything this weekend after all the christmas stuff.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by regency
pinion was shimed to with whatever it took to get to the 2.513, i dont remmeber if it was stock or not, but i dont think it was and looking at the wear pattern its too deep meaning i need to shim out some more. Im goin to recheck everything this weekend after all the christmas stuff.
Just because a gear set may say it needs such and such shim doesn't mean squat IMO. It may offer a starting point on a brand new bare housing but if you are just regearing I would always start back with the stock shim and check it. When it all comes down to it the contact pattern tells you what needs to be done. Not too sure about reshimming used gears. It may make it better or it could make it worse even with an ideal contact pattern. Hypoid gears are finicky when it comes to noise. They are capable of running quieter then helical and definitely quieter then straight cut gears but if you don't get them just right they aren't ashamed to tell you about it.

Quick Reply: 2 New sets of gears = Annoying!!