Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2001 Chevy Tahoe 2wd Rear End questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Chevy Tahoe 2wd Rear End questions

Ok so today i have noticed something horrible. When i turn left or right and not hit the gas just let my truck idle the rear end feels like it jams up. Which i guess is ok i havent really looked inside the rear end just yet just thinking worest case. But what i wanted to do is drop the stock gears in it no and put in 4.10 or 4.56 but not sure and hopefully you guys could me figure this out. Gas milage is no concern since i have a heavy foot anyway lol. I have to be the first one off the line everytime. So basically i want to remove all the stock stuff in the rear end and change everything over. And by the way it is a 5.3L 2WD. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably the G80 going out. It's a much more common problem. Replace the factory locker with a detroit true trac part number 913a481. Pull the cover though and see what is messed up. It only takes about 5 minutes to do.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont care about mileage... go with 4.88s.. and get a tune.. it would leave really good even on the stock torque converter.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM

well thank you for all your help kinda figured it was the G80. The part you were talking about, the detroit true trac part number 913a481. It is a limited slip unit i would like to put posi in the rearend but i think i am going to have an issue with my traction control, is this correct? Not a bad thought to put 4.88 in the rearend and tuning it. Planned on getting it tuned eventually but it looks like that will be happening sonner. Well thanks for the reply's and help.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rwferguson43220
well thank you for all your help kinda figured it was the G80. The part you were talking about, the detroit true trac part number 913a481. It is a limited slip unit i would like to put posi in the rearend but i think i am going to have an issue with my traction control, is this correct? Not a bad thought to put 4.88 in the rearend and tuning it. Planned on getting it tuned eventually but it looks like that will be happening sonner. Well thanks for the reply's and help.
The truetrac will work fine and it is the best option you can buy for a 10 bolt rear end without spending huge money.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by RandomHero
The truetrac will work fine and it is the best option you can buy for a 10 bolt rear end without spending huge money.
But is it posi or limited slip though? Trying to build the rear end to take a beating dont want to have to do this all over again.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

But is it posi or limited slip though? Trying to build the rear end to take a beating dont want to have to do this all over again.
It's a limited slip. Trust me, it's strong. There are guys running 10s with them and guys running 40"+ tires with them. They are leaps and bounds better than the stock carrier and the best you can buy in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RandomHero
It's a limited slip. Trust me, it's strong. There are guys running 10s with them and guys running 40"+ tires with them. They are leaps and bounds better than the stock carrier and the best you can buy in my opinion.
Ok well you sold me where can i get this part for pretty cheap? Do you think 4:10 / 4:88 gear ratio is going to make a hugh difference? What would be the best bet overall in performance or from light to light? Also even if i swap to a higher gear ratio would i still need the truck to be tuned to run these? Thanks for all your guys knowledge and help.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to deter you from a very valuable upgrade, but.....IF somebody has put the wrong gear oil in your G80 diff(example, synthetic 75-140) it can cause your diff to "stick" locked, then unlock randomly in parking lots and CLANG!! without warning.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok well you sold me where can i get this part for pretty cheap? Do you think 4:10 / 4:88 gear ratio is going to make a hugh difference? What would be the best bet overall in performance or from light to light? Also even if i swap to a higher gear ratio would i still need the truck to be tuned to run these? Thanks for all your guys knowledge and help.
Search on ebay. There is a company called Ron's Machining. Many on here have bought from him and been more than satisfied. As far as gears. It depends what size tires you run and what your plans are for the car. Actually there are many variables to it such as the type of driving you do and how concerned you are with fuel economy.

Here is how I personally would break it down. It might be a bit different than most others:

28-30" tires:4.10s
30-33" tires: 4.30s
33-35" tires: 4.56s
35-37 tires: 4.88s
37 and bigger 5.13s

Personal opinion of course.

Quick Reply: 2001 Chevy Tahoe 2wd Rear End questions