Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2002 Avalanche - Suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Avalanche - Suspension overhaul

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's any write-ups or good info on overhauling the entire suspension on a 1st gen Avy. I'm going to be replacing my complete front and rear suspension with Energy Suspension poly bushings. I'll also be doing the sway bar bushings and Bilstein HD shocks at the same time. I just want to know if there's any suprises I'm going to run into.

Has anyone here ever done this on a Avy? The suspension should be identical to all Tahoes, Suburbans and Escalades
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's any write-ups or good info on overhauling the entire suspension on a 1st gen Avy. I'm going to be replacing my complete front and rear suspension with Energy Suspension poly bushings. I'll also be doing the sway bar bushings and Bilstein HD shocks at the same time. I just want to know if there's any suprises I'm going to run into.

Has anyone here ever done this on a Avy? The suspension should be identical to all Tahoes, Suburbans and Escalades
I hated the bilstein HD shocks, they were way to soft. The best improvemt I feel on my 04 Avalanche was upgrading the rear sway bar.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Softer than the factory ride? I know the Avy comes with the Bilsteins up front from the factory and the self-leveling shocks in the rear (which are too damn expensive).

Have you swapped your control arm bushings yet? My rears are creeking every time I stop or take off from a stop. So I might as well do all of them, including the shocks.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Teching In

went through my front suspension on my 02 avalanche over the summer, pretty basic. Only tip i got is unbolt the steering box to get the pit man arm off.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I gotta check my steering anyway. For some reason every time I go over cracks on the road, lane reflectors, etc is sounds like something under my steering column is lose...plus my steering feels a little lose.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

The best is to get custom valved shocks, a little more expensive yes, but you can fine tune the ride to exactly how you want it. Look at doetsch tech or fox shocks, just for a basic custom shock runs about $114 each.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Teching In

the intermediate steering shafts have been a problem on our vehicles you might want to check that. Mine was popping. After i changed it it tighened everything up. Probalt take care of your steering wheel play also.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be sure and take a look at that shaft. Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to try and tackle this today and tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally had time to tackle my suspension yesterday. I started kinda late to...3pm. I knew it was too late to start on the front so I did the rear only. Since the ES kit requires you to reuse the outter shell of the OE bushings, removing them is a PITA. I tried hammering them out, pressing them out and even cutting them out. All these methods were useless or took too long. So a buddy of mine suggested I go buy a protane torch from Home Depot and heat up the outter shell, then press them out. I bought a torch for $45 and heated the outter shell evenly. Once the rubber started catching fire I pressed them out. They came out like butter. Sometimes I could take a hammer to it and with a few blows they would pop out. Once the bushing was out I cleaned the inside of the sleeve with a wire brush, lubed it up and pushed the new bushing inside.

I finished both upper and lower control arms and sway bars. I also installed new Bilstein HD shocks. All I have left is the panhard bar and sway bar end links. So far the truck rides so much better. I took it through a few dips and it's a completely different truck. The frontend falls flat on it's face while the rear hits the dip without breaking a sweat.

I heard that I need a special tool to remove the front torsion bars. Does anyone know where I can rent this tool? I didn't see it at AutoZone.