Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2005 & UP Rear Brake Shoe Materials?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2005 & UP Rear Brake Shoe Materials?

I called my dealership and got three prices on replacement brake shoes for my 2005 Z71, the option code is JF7,

The P/N is 19256494,
Prices are:
OE $236.28
AC Delco Bonded new $123.70,
Bonded rebuilds $92.23

I Googled the P/N and get better prices but have no way of telling if I am getting the best version.

Does bonded mean Vs. Riveted? If so is that the proof in the pudding?

Would they all be of the same friction material?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonded means the friction material is bonded to the metal base with an epoxy type substance. Riveted means the friction material is riveted to the metal base.

Riveted vs bonded, as to which is better, no real difference IMO. I have seen riveted shoes crack between the rivets and the friction material fall off. I have also seen the epoxy fail on bonded shoes and the friction material fall off.

Any particular reason you want OEM shoes over aftermarket options?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
Bonded means the friction material is bonded to the metal base with an epoxy type substance. Riveted means the friction material is riveted to the metal base.

Riveted vs bonded, as to which is better, no real difference IMO. I have seen riveted shoes crack between the rivets and the friction material fall off. I have also seen the epoxy fail on bonded shoes and the friction material fall off.

Any particular reason you want OEM shoes over aftermarket options?
Thanks,

I am looking into as why these OE shoes are listed so high in price in comparison to the two other options at the parts counter. I am curious to any difference in materials if any.

The 05 is the 1st year of the Drum brake return to the rear and the other upgrades to the system really make the truck stop nice in comparison to my earlier year model trucks.

I have over 65k on her now and feel the time is getting close to change them and want to prepare.

I went to the dealer and looked at the OE high priced shoes and they are bonded, and have markings indicating they were made in Canada. And who knows, that may be just the metal parts and not the friction materials??

In a nut shell I want to know what I'm giving up in quality, performance and longevity if I go with the lesser cost shoes.

The p/n's on the box are 19256494 and an AC Delco number is also present 171-0903
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a good brake pad/shoe.. look at EBC, they make some good stuff.
my factory brakes were still good at 175k miles.. but the pads had glazed over pretty good so i changed everything over to EBC.. very nice!!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
If you want a good brake pad/shoe.. look at EBC, they make some good stuff.
my factory brakes were still good at 175k miles.. but the pads had glazed over pretty good so i changed everything over to EBC.. very nice!!
Thanks, I will.

I see you have a 2000, I assure you these 2005 shoes will not last that long. They proportioned the braking power to get back there and they get used believe me.

I can feel it every time I brake. There is a very subtle delay before they can be felt and they come in nicely.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running EBC ultimax pads on my truck and have been very satisfied. They made noise for the first 500-700 miles then quieted down. Small amt of dust, but that shouldn't be a major issue with drums.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, My main concern was with the trouble GM went through upgrading the brakes I wanted to make sure I got the same quality shoes that it came with.

From visiting dealership parts counters and looking at them in comparison I found the ones listed as OE had a lighter color material and had Canada markings on the shoes. They also had printed in white on the side edge of the liner NBK and D9011FF.
I found some on Amazon that match this for a C-Note.
I also got the single spring T-Handle tool made by Lisle P/N LIS49100.

As for the front I am running the Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors with Raybestos Police pads. (Tahoe P/N ATD785P). Formulated to handle hi-heat pursuit situations its hard to get them to fade and transfer material to the rotor.