Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2wd traction in street trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd traction in street trim

I'm looking for any input on which wheel/tire combinations guys with big HP have had good luck with on the street. I currently have 305/60/18 Toyo proxes on Titan 18s and am looking for something stickier. Is there just no hope with 2wd and no concrete blocks in the bed?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My kumos, worked ok on the truck, but that was with the 4.8 and boltons. I have came to the conclusion that running a good DR is the best bet, or caltracs with a decent sticky every day tire... I will have some CT bars soon, will def post up the details...

John
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my 70lb spare as far back in the bed as I can get it. but there's no way I could keep them planted in 2wd less than 50mph. You are running significantly larger and wider tires than I am and make more hp in a lighter truck, even with stickier tires you'd need to heat them up before use, difficult at best on the street....good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of one thing that may work for you. I personal have yet to try it, it is a box that bolts behind the trans. The box has one input shaft and two output shafts, one of which faces the rear, the other, the front. Kinds hard to explain. Anyway the engine torque is supplied threw the input shaft and distributed equally to both output shafts. The rear output shaft connects to the rearend like a traditional vehicle. The output shaft facing forward is connected to a axle at the front, that still allows the wheels to rotate from left to right. Anyway, like I said kinda hard to explain......

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 06-25-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

thats funny
Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I have heard of one thing that may work for you. I personal have yet to try it, it is a box that bolts behind the trans. The box has one input shaft and two output shafts, one of which faces the rear, the other, the front. Kinds hard to explain. Anyway the engine torque is supplied threw the input shaft and distributed equally to both output shafts. The rear output shaft connects to the rearend like a traditional vehicle. The output shaft facing forward is connected to a axle at the front, that still allows the wheels to rotate from left to right. Anyway, like I said kinda hard to explain......
I guess I am not understanding this right. If you connect the front wheels to the back, the truck will spin each tire a different direction, thus hindering traction. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em comming
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
I'm looking for any input on which wheel/tire combinations guys with big HP have had good luck with on the street. I currently have 305/60/18 Toyo proxes on Titan 18s and am looking for something stickier. Is there just no hope with 2wd and no concrete blocks in the bed?
Henry, I have the perfect solution... Give me your 6.0 and turbo and I will give you my 5.3 with a Radix and you won't have nearly as many issues with traction.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Last I remember you were having issues too
Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Nitto 555's should be considerably better than your proxes. I'm sure they won't hook off of a start or a low punch, but they'll probably do better than your current setup.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

toyo just came out with the new proxes ST2 which is supposed to have much better grip, you can be our ginny pig and let us know if they hook or not...

Quick Reply: 2wd traction in street trim