Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

3:73's or 3:90's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburon
I know Juan likes to street race a lot. Those 3.73 should do him some good.
Yup we actually raced like 7-8 times right now!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:34 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Right, and that had nothing to do with the fact that you had 50 more HP than me.

Look, Devin, I don't understand why you insist on going toe-to-toe with me every time on this. It seems you want the facts to be different than what they are, and you want my experience to be something other than what it is. You really should entertain the possibility that you are wrong on this. You also may want to pay attention to what other people with experience (hint: some are right here in this thread) keep saying over and over again on the matter.

From now on, I would appreciate it if you would just let me state my opinion and experience in response to questions like this without challenging me every time on it. It's getting old. Just state your opinion and experience, let me do the same, and we'll leave it at that, okay?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
First of all that comment would be best left to a PM.
Second,
I am not going toe to toe with you, let alone challenging you, I am in fact, stating my opinion, just like you, although it might not seem so, to you.
Furthermore, just like you, I will continue to comment in any capacity I see fit in any thread I see fit.
Kevin, in all honesty, statements like "3.73's are the best highway gear for gas mileage, if you run between 70-75 mph" is very misleading and simply bad advice given the amount of known information.
I thought I corrected that statement fairly tactfully stating "in our case", i.e. including myself on your behalf as to having 32" tall tires, thus qualifying said statement, maybe I was not.
Also a statement like "While the 4.10's certainly gained off the line, once up over 35 or 40 mph, the benefits of the 4.10's were gone", I find very suspect, especially in your case, because as to my knowledge, you have done nothing to optimize the gear change since installing them, i.e. shift points, and because my experience is in direct contrast to this statement.
At this point I thought the discussion was just getting good, why, because we starting talking about specifics, i.e. 4-2 downshifts, 3-2 downshifts, rpm vs. momentum, engine rpm's vs. vehicle speed, etc, etc.
These are the types of discussions I look forward too, because to me, they offer real value, vice blanket statements. You know my history as well as anyone, I have participated in some very in-depth technical discussions in days past because I enjoy them and like to help others, my prerogative of course. In fact, you have been the recipient of my generousity several times.

So what if I disagree with you or anyone else, let’s talk about it, lets discuss our beliefs and experiences. Tiburon is standing firm; should I tell him to not post in opposition of my beliefs? I asked Tiburon to clarify what he stated; should I have agreed with him publicly only to privately disagree with him?

Am I really making 50 more HP than you? Or is that just a guess? The gears couldn’t possibly have anything to do with my pulling away from you at will could they?

Kevin, take your bitterness somewhere else, I stopped taking those deposits a long time ago.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I must say I never lost a freeway race with my RCSB and the 4:10's. The 4:10's had to be the best bang for the buck mod aside from the Radix.....I had all around performance, street (stop light to stop light), Track (1/4 mile), and Highway (too 125MPH). The difference from a 3:73 to a 4:10 is about 300-400 rpm on the highway, not a big difference in my book. I have not switched to 3:73's in the crew, for the most part because I have taken a different route with it. However if I were going down the same path as the last truck it would be 4:10's all the way.

**Disclaimer**
This is my opinion.....In no way was this directed toward any member of this site.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

4.10s or even more. What tire size?

Ive had 3.92s with 28inch tires stock, moved to a 27inch tire and plan to upgrade to 4.10 gears soon.

Dont skimp out on gear, or you'll have the axle apart later doing it over.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:32 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Tiburon
While I agree 4.10 will yield the best ET on the 1/4, from my personal experience, 3.73 do pull better at higher speeds 70+.
I have a friend with an Ext Cab 5.3 with bolt ons and 4.10's who ran a best time of 14.6. I raced him with my wife's 4.8 ext cab that ran a best time of 15.0 with 3.73's and he would pull from a dig or a low speed roll. On the other hand, when we would do high end pulls I would always pull on him. These high end pull I am taling about are 70+ and shut off at 120+.
fair enough. I suppose it's not out of the question to have similiar experiences with different results. One thing I was not including yesterday in my thought process was the closer ratios of the 4l80e with the 4.10's, might be something there.
In anycase, I hope I didn't offend you in any way, as I really enjoy hashing these things out in an effort to find the answers to the differences.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with 4.10's if I was running a tire 28" or taller and if i was running less tire than that I might go to 3.73's, but I doubt it. I think that the misunderstanding about 4.10's at highway speed is because that with the 4.10's it doesn't have that 2nd gear downshift past 55 or 60, so when you punch it the sweet spot has moved around. I will say that past 100 the 4.10's pull HARD up to probably 125 or so. Just my .02
Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I would go with 4.10's if I was running a tire 28" or taller and if i was running less tire than that I might go to 3.73's, but I doubt it. I think that the misunderstanding about 4.10's at highway speed is because that with the 4.10's it doesn't have that 2nd gear downshift past 55 or 60, so when you punch it the sweet spot has moved around. I will say that past 100 the 4.10's pull HARD up to probably 125 or so. Just my .02
I agree with you....what I was trying to add to this was........why not adjust ones shift parameters to maximize the 4.10's to your driving preference. for instance, I get 4-2 drop up to about 65mph, if I wanted something different, these are adjustable parameters.

4.10's WILL pull hard past 100mph in most cases, I was just being conservative.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
In anycase, I hope I didn't offend you in any way, as I really enjoy hashing these things out in an effort to find the answers to the differences.
Not at all. I also enjoy these types of thread. It adds to the technical content of this site.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by moregrip
I agree with you....what I was trying to add to this was........why not adjust ones shift parameters to maximize the 4.10's to your driving preference. for instance, I get 4-2 drop up to about 65mph, if I wanted something different, these are adjustable parameters.

4.10's WILL pull hard past 100mph in most cases, I was just being conservative.
Yeah, a friend of mine has 4.10's and his 4-2 downsift won't happen unless he's below 55 or 56 because he doen't have a real tune........yet, but we both agree that the 4.10's perform as good or better than it did with 3.42's. Sure, when it had the 3.42's it would downshift to 2nd at even 80, but when it shifted to 3rd at about 90 it lost a lot of steam. Now at 90 with the 4.10's it's pullin hard. By the way his real tune is one the way, and those shift parameters will be right now.....lol.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

did this thread get moved to thw wrong drivetrain forum? Last time I checked dodge didnt make a 5.3

But as far as gear selection goes, if your in between two, go bigger. that way you wont have to do it over again when its not enough gear.