Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

3" lift kit or 6" Lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" lift kit or 6" Lift ?

I tried the 2.5" lift kit with the spacers and blooks on my previous Sierra, it was perfect, now, I have a crew cab not extended one, and it will need higher lift to look nice, but I didn't try the 6" lift, which is more complex having all those componentes to be installed, My quastion to the experts is :

Does the 6" lifts have failuer issues or tendency to break or known problems? disadvantages ? would the work as good as the simple 2" lifts ? would the transmission be affected by the new angle of the drive shaft ? will the full throutle have more impact on the transmission?

If I am going to get 6" lift ? is there something I should look for in any lift ? ( special part that should be included etc. )

Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Blown 427 LSX

it depends on a variety of reasons, more or less common sense as I dont know a huge amount about lifted trucks, although I had one at one time.

For starters, what will you be using your truck for? Is this just for street or will you actually take it off road? This alone will be a huge consideration - obviously if you go off roading and thrash on the truck, it would make sense to get a bullet proof setup, which will cost more, remember - quality and cheap dont go together.

This is probably not the best site to get the most accurate answers on lifts, as most guys on here lower their trucks as a rule.

for looks - a 6" lift looks way better than a half *** 2" lift IMO, but I also think a 12" lift looks even better on the right truck

as for the transmission/driveline that depends on a couple of things - tire & wheel size, along with gear ratio all play a huge role in respects to your tranny - as well as pinion angle should be taken into account. My best advice, find a local shop in your area that specializes in lift kits, I am sure they would be best suited to point you in the right direction.

Do it right the first time, it will only end up costing more in the long run if you dont.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usabodyguard
For starters, what will you be using your truck for? Is this just for street or will you actually take it off road? This alone will be a huge consideration - obviously if you go off roading and thrash on the truck, it would make sense to get a bullet proof setup, which will cost more, remember - quality and cheap dont go together..
I dont go off roading , might go, but in general like to keep my truck on road, and as much as like it to be high and agressive looking, Iw'd like it to be fast, and I do drive fast ( 100-120 MPH) with the truck, so I need sport tires, with 22 rims, I am thinking of sticking to 3" or 4" , I want it to be more into street and not smoother for of roading.

I am welling to pay the extra money on the quality, but I dont want to compremize duribility, relaiability on high speed by making a mistake and going for full lift where the minor lift will give me what I want, wanna keep it as close to a factory trcuk .

Thanks man,
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Teching In

i have an 2006 silv crew cab lifted on a 5" lift......sitting on 18" wheeld racing wraped on some 33" nittos......i havent had any problems with it....didnt put a new driveshaft she has the factory one....transmission is the factory one.....i have gone over 120mph and she only moves a bit the sides...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the 4-6" lift from cognito motorsports, that sounds like it should be what your looking for in terms of height, installation etc.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Teching In

i have a 04 with 6 in never had a problem with reliability
just make sure when u change the tire size you change your gearing or it will be hard on your transmission(reason im looking to buy one)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

is it a 4wd crew cab or a 2wd mine was a 2wd crew cab wit a 3inch lift this is it

and this is stock
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you'll want to go bigger later, so you might as well spring for the 6" now. I had a 6" on my bronco (decided to go with 6" over a 4"). When I first got it back from installation, I thought I had made a bad mistake because it was too huge... a year later, I wanted to replace it with an 8".