Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4.30 gears with 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
You're switching gears just so you can do a burnout?
You should be able to power stall from the factory. If not just a tune will take care of that.
No, Im switch gears cause I want a bit of power increase, while moving from 16s to 20" inch wheels. About the tune, its the next thing Im doing, wanted my tires on 1st, so I can have it street tuned.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm on 275/45/20"s. numerically higher gears will help city mileage as it gets the vehicle rolling easier. and Yes you can do a quick spurt from 80-100+ easier.
3rd gear pulls really nice compared to the 3.42s I used to have.

I'd do it.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the same tire size that you're going with too, I like it a lot, but my tire and wheel combo is HEAVY (Joe Gibbs 20's). I too have 3.73's, and wish I had the dough for some 4.10's or 4.30's myself.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I run the same tire size that you're going with too, I like it a lot, but my tire and wheel combo is HEAVY (Joe Gibbs 20's). I too have 3.73's, and wish I had the dough for some 4.10's or 4.30's myself.
I know, Im thinking the SS OEM wheel is a tad lighter. Ill have to weigh them out. Tires depends too, so yea. I still should be little lighter than your combo I would guess. 4.30s with trutrac is the plan I have so far. I really like the looks of this combo, and I love your truck btw. This is a good combo for stock/leveled heights. Also keeps the fenders filled a tad.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
I know, Im thinking the SS OEM wheel is a tad lighter. Ill have to weigh them out. Tires depends too, so yea. I still should be little lighter than your combo I would guess. 4.30s with trutrac is the plan I have so far. I really like the looks of this combo, and I love your truck btw. This is a good combo for stock/leveled heights. Also keeps the fenders filled a tad.
Thanks for the compliment man...I would think that the SS wheels are somewhat lighter than the JGP's, these things weigh a ton, but they're great looking wheels IMO. I really like the SS wheels too, but really like the lip on the JGP's as opposed to the flush design of the SS's, just my personal taste. Some day I'd like to get some light weight Centerlines to run as a summer wheel and retire my JGP's to use as a strictly winter wheel.

The 285's definitely fill out the wheel well nicely with a mild drop, much more of a drop and we'd have to go to something like a 275/45-20 or there would be clearance issues
Old 05-15-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really liked the looks of the Gibb's wheels on mine better as well, the centers matched the body color on mine pretty well and I liked the polished rims better as well. But just as you have pointed out, they are too damn heavy. The MotoForge 22's I'm currently running are lighter. I would have put up with the weight though if they would have just cleared my brakes better, as I still think they are are great looking wheel.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

This is alot of weight to be pushing around.

compare to my stock tires

4.30 seems to be well suited, since truck will see a good bit of highway, and is my daily driver on 20s.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

I swapped 4.56's in from 3.73, the truck picked up everywhere except 60ft. cause i run street tires. The part i hadnt thought about is top speed limited by driveshaft speed. Now at like 105 mph the driveline gets harmonic and you can feel thats the safe limit. I run the stock aluminum driveshaft with reg cab long bed. It has stepped diameters and has held up to 2.0 60 foots at 4700 lbs raceweight. I run 265 70 16's on stock rims, they are light and as nice as 20's look i wouldnt put 20's on if they were free. The weight toll affects et, gas mileage,stopping distance. NO THANKS. I turn about 2500 rpm at 75 mph now. I will consider aftermarket driveshaft to get some top speed back. i run almost 99mph in the 1/4 @5300 rpm now it did turn 4300 with 3.73 at like 97.5 mph before. Im considering ET street radials to get in the mid 13's, does the stock locker diff handle them ok?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

So your runing 4.56s with stock 16s. IMO thats alot. I take it you are implying I run 4.56s with 20s then. Since you run them with stock tires and gained everywhere except offline traction. Which makes alot of sense, cause I will have the traction. Also the difference between .56 and .30 is negletable.

I am concerned with top speed. I would like to run 140 if need be. My new tires are rated for 150. Ive read alot of driveshaft, and think it would be wise, to get a built 1 with a loop or something. Again, I wont be at the tracks, but one hell of a street/touring truck. I hate being passed at 100. I wont have any speed limit as a matter. I will either run out of power, or resistance.

I can take it to 144mph about 4600 with 4.30s it looks like.

Im starting to have 2nd thoughts... I can drop that rpm a good bit by staying with 3.73s for better mileage. If I can recall correct, I can do 100 at 3k rpms now... But I will need my supercharger for added torque offline and everywhere else, if I dont do a gear swap or anything else for that matter. It just seems more feasable to supercharge it sooner than later. Than pay half that price just for the gear swap.

On the other hand, remain with silky smooth driveability, gas mileage, etc.. All, with stock, gears, stall, cam is not out of reach at all being blown.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I respect and understand your needs for over 100. I tow with this truck and i have a stock 4.8 converter. The 4.56 gear is to liven things up w/out losing tow ability.
I run the OLD Man Cam and it hits nice off the line with 4.8 converter. I dont want to break the stock rear locker diff but i do think it has mid 13's with tires. Its hard for me to not go there. FWIW i have run approx 140 mph with the 3.73's before any harmonics were felt. The drive around experience is tame with 4 th gear and lockup coming sooner as the main difference. I have still to see how gas mileage will be affected. Oh btw i had to lengthen my shift times on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with HP tuners to prevent excessive wheel spin at the track on stock type tires. 1-2 would spin as hard as nailing it off the line and not back pedalling lol.

Quick Reply: 4.30 gears with 6.0?