Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4" drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" drop

I put a 2/4 drop on my truck a while back and it rides like crap I figured I would lose some ride quality but its pretty bad. I can't remember what brand drop I have on the rear all I know is that its hangers and shackles. Is there anything that I can do to make it ride a little better? It seems like I hit the bump stops in the back a lot. I don't remember if the kit came with shorter stops or if I lowered it 4 inches in the back and still have the stock ones. I did get drop shocks though. So should I try cutting the bump stops, provided they are stock, or is there something else that I can do to help the ride a little?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well there's 10 billion variables. What kind of shocks do you have(I hope for your sake no nitro drops). If you didn't remove your bump stops you'll have virtually no travel so that would also make it ride like crap. Even with a 4" drop I bottomed out all the time on my frame. IMO you really need a c-notch even with a 4" drop.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like youre having the same problems I had. I agree with randomhero I'd just get a c notch kit for sure, before I c notched my truck it bottomed out like crazy, def worth it IMO. Then if you still dont like the ride you can get a different shocks.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:07 PM
11 Second Truck Club

you just need shorter bump stops.
maybe new shocks too.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree with the others. i have a ground force 3/5 drop and I bottom out all the time and my stoppers are tiny. I need a notch bad but I figure the bumpstops are saving my 295's. when I get some new rims with the backspacing I need to tuck in some big meats i will get a notch and possibly some bags.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I just did a 2/4 drop with hangers/shackles and I have stock shocks all around and it rides really good, hardly different then stock, I did cut alot off my bump stops I think you should check that.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Launching!

For starters, the shocks that I got were Doetsch Tech Nitro Slammers (the website had a sale on them when I bought the lowering kit) so I'm not sure if they are any good in comparison to others. As for the brands on the other parts, I'm not sure which is front and which is back but I have Western Chasis and Belltech brands for the 2" coils and 4" hangers and shackles. I guess I'll try cutting the bumpstops first because I would really rather not have to get into the cutting and stuff for the c-notch. That and I'm not even sure where to get one or how much they are. How much would I need to cut off of the bump stops before I went too far?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

You could also try some air lift slam air bags in stead of the notch. You will only want 1/4 to 3/8 thick bump stops on the back.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I also run Doetsch tech shocks and unless you have a bad set, it's definitely not the shock. IMO they're one of the(if not the)best drop shocks.
I think you're just running out of travel for your rear axle.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help so far guys. I think I'll just try cutting the stops down and see if that helps. I figure that will mostly fix my problem because now that I think about it, the stops are set for when the truck was 4" higher in the back :S Maybe that will fix my problem. If not I may end up seeing how much it will cost me to c-notch it. Most of the people I know do it themselves but I think I want a shop to do mine incase it goes wrong.

Quick Reply: 4" drop