Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Is a 4-Link good for daily?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,271 Likes on 970 Posts
Default Is a 4-Link good for daily?

I'm looking at information on a 4-link and I cannot really find a whole lot. My main curiosity is if a 4-link would be a good choice for a daily driver?
I see Twisted Metalworkz is offering a weld on 4-link now for NBS.
From what I understand a 4-link should help with handling and ride quality which are two things I would love to have increased on this truck. After I did my coilovers and rear shock relocation my RQ did go up but I didn't put a notch in yet so it is still in the dumps lol
Will I still be able to use my truck bed with a 4 link? I would think yes but I'm not sure.

Feel like I have more questions but I'm too tired to have brain power right now
Old 06-08-2022, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

A lot of the newer trucks come with 4 links now, I know Ram specifically does, my bro-in-law's Powerwagon has a 4 link and he still pulls a goose neck with it, i think its in all how your springs are rated. I want to put one on my truck too, with coilovers and what not. KPconponets - Chris Alston ChassisWorks makes a cantilever setup for our trucks.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

KPcomponents is someone I was reading about earlier, what is a cantilever?

Yeah I know that Tahoes and such came with like a semi four-link set up iirc
Old 06-08-2022, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm also open to discussing different set ups. I just believe that the stock set up could be improved in terms of handling and ride quality
Old 06-08-2022, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Look up Spoolin on here, he had/has a sweet setup on his truck, very custom but awesome.

Cant explain the cantilever system but heres a pic: Chris Alston's Chassisworks, Inc.; Chassisworks - GM 99-15 1500 Truck - Bolt-On Cantilever System
Old 06-08-2022, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't know what the main goal is for the above system, but I like what it does with the airbags. In my limited experience with two sets of airbags on different solid axle vehicles, they suck. They are too small to give a good ride. You add air to level the vehicle, and airbags directly over the axle are very resistive to movement. It looks like this cantilever system addresses that by moving the bags to give the axle a mechanical advantage over the springs, which would make them less progressive. More linear. More like correctly spec'd steel springs.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

@MikeGyver This would be a coilover set up rather than a bagged one.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

My 4-link rides way better than cal-tracks and leafs. The coil overs add versatility as far as dialing in ride height, anti-squat and traction. It will keep you in a straight line as well. I have hauled over 700lbs of cement as well as wood fencing materials. No complaints here.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

That is so hot. Next time I am down south I need to come by and check your truck out.

I would really like to finish all the stuff that requires removing my bed before I take my truck in to get painted. I love the rear shock relocation but I have always thought about a 4-link. That may need to be my next winter project. Planning on notching the truck sometime after summer or maybe sooner if I can.

Is that a custom set up? I know that Ridetech makes a four link as well
https://www.twistedmetalworkz.com/pr...king-coilovers This is the twisted metalworkz one, I kinda like it. Looks pretty beefy. By the time I do the 4 link I'll have argon for the welder so it should be nice and pretty
Old 06-08-2022, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Kinda depends on the 4-link.

Some are single-purpose, and are only good for that one thing. Drag racing for instance. Unsuitable for anything else. Others require extensive fabrication. There's no "one" "right" answer.

OTOH, Suburbans, Avalanches, and Tahoes from about 99 up, and their GMC and Caddy brothers, all have a 4-link and coils, from the factory. Not "with like a semi four-link set up"; a 4-link, pure and simple. No idea how difficult it would be to transplant one of those into a pickup, or whether that would fit what you're looking for. Probably cost less than any of the racing or off-roading setups though.

Quick Reply: Is a 4-Link good for daily?