Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Is a 4-Link good for daily?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

My set-up is more of a drag racing four-link but I will say the ride improved greatly over a leaf spring/cal-trac set-up.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,271 Likes on 970 Posts

Yeah that’s what I would think, glad someone has good experience with it.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The geometry of the stock SUVs sucks and is non adjustable. What I mean by adjustable is, not the adjustments in bar length using aftermarket control arms, I mean changing the angles of the bars via their mounting positions at the frame or axle. Read up on “instant center” of 4 links. If you want to convert to a 4 link, it would probably be less work to go with aftermarket/custom, and 100x better, than trying to swap the junk from a stock SUV.
The following users liked this post:
shakenfake (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonJack
The geometry of the stock SUVs sucks and is non adjustable. What I mean by adjustable is, not the adjustments in bar length using aftermarket control arms, I mean changing the angles of the bars via their mounting positions at the frame or axle. Read up on “instant center” of 4 links. If you want to convert to a 4 link, it would probably be less work to go with aftermarket/custom, and 100x better, than trying to swap the junk from a stock SUV.
also, if you are considering an aftermarket bolt in or weld in kit take into consideration the bar length as this will impact the overall effectiveness. The longer the bars the better
Old 06-12-2022, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 06-14-2022, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I did find some videos on that twisted metal workz kit with someone installing it and it seems pretty good. Unfortunately finding reviews on that sort of thing is near impossible.
Will I need to cut my bed up to fit the panhard bar? Every truck with a four link it seems to have that done to it although then again every truck I see with a four link is like a 8-10 inch drop...

edit: perhaps a watts link would be a better set up? I am unsure.

Last edited by shakenfake; 06-14-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

you could use a watts link instead of a pan hard bar
Old 06-14-2022, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

That is what I was thinking.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts

I didn't even know about that twisted metal works here in San Antonio. I might have gone that route If I didn't already have the caltracs.

I plan on doing a watts link after I get the exhaust right, and the sway bar in. Hoping to still have room for the shock relocation after that. Going to need to measure it up, and see what my options are for the watts link, on how wide it will need to be across the axle before I pick that up.

The chassis works is bolt on, but it looks like anything other than the factory diff drain and fill points, and you would have to take off the entire setup and diff cover to change fluid. If it will even fit an aftermarket cover that sits out farther.

This airbagit one looks pretty solid, but reading up, there is supposedly a really shady past by the owner, who has had several sites, and keeps changing their company name.
Trust The Air Suspension Ride Pros; Find Exclusive Deals on Hot Rod Suspension, Lift Kits, Lowering Kits, Lambo Doors, air springs, air bags, Billet Wheel Adapters, Towing Kits, Air Shocks, Air suspension Lift Kits (airbagit.com)

I had these links saved.
Full Size Truck - Watts Link Kit (michiganmetalworks.com)

Watts-Link Universal Kit (phoenixkustoms.com)

I found a company out of the phoenix area, (but can't find the link), that will do a completely custom watts link. I think it looked like the airbagit one, but they were $1k, and said they had a manufacturing and fabrication company that could do anything you wanted. (EDIT, FOUND IT WITH AN IMAGE SEARCH, Watts Link kit to work with a Paralle 4 Link Weld On | eBay (EBAY SELLER FIREBIRDINDUSTRIAL ).

There are several generic ones on ebay if you wanted to go cheap.

Last edited by adriver; 06-14-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Twisted Metal Workz is in Ontario California
I like their kit the best since it is fitted for our trucks. The only thing I don't like is the panhard bar. I think I would instead go with a Watts link. All of this is pretty custom though so I would have to take care not to fudge anything up lol
After getting the TMW kit and a watts link from someone it would probably be around $2,500 I think.

Quick Reply: Is a 4-Link good for daily?